Chinese-Forums

Schools in Beijing...

Guest gaoliying

I know this has probably been asked before but can anyone list some schools in Beijing (for learning Mandarin) that are reputable and cost efficient? I want to go for about four months in the Fall but it's hard to find a school from Canada just by surfing the 'net. I would love an opinion from someone that's been. I've downloaded an application to Beijing Language and Culture University but does anyone think that's not a good idea? Any better suggestions? Should I be scared by the portion of the application that asks me to swear that "I will not engage in activities bearing no relation with my academic pursuit in China."? What does THAT mean exactly?

The non school related activities refers to jobs, and they generally expect you to keep your nose clean.

Beijing University and Language and CUlture university are the most renown, and aside from specialty programs also a bit more expensive.

Renmin University (people's uni) has a more lax program, where thetend to look less at your attendance, which the aforementioned are more stict about.

If you are short term, and want to engage in other activites (work, volunteer, travel) you coud consider studying at a private school, they are not much more expensive and can be a bit cheaper than full time programs. Classes sometimes are smaller too, although in some cases they have a reputation for not being very stable (teachers leaving, etc.)

Other than that you could consider a school that actually is in your area of interest, such as the film academy (google it under Beijing Film Academy). Because they are not specialized in teaching Chinese they tend to run up to 400 us dollars cheaper per semester, and you get to proactice what you learn with people who share your interests.

I don't really think it matters what school you enroll in if you are studying short term. The teachers want you to learn and have been vert forthcoming in my experiences.

Good luck!