Chinese-Forums

Popup Chinese Translator for Firefox!!

xentropic

Finally theres a plugin for Firefox that will allow you to mouse over chinese and get a popup that gives you the pinyin pronuncation and english meaning. I modded the plugin Rikai-chan which did the same to Japanese along with adding the ability to export the word you highlighted to an external file you can use to add to a flashcard list or something like that. It searches the CEDICT dictionary file which doesnt seem to have anywhere near the entries the japanese EDICT has, but its better than nothing. If all else fails , you can at least get a character by character reading. In the options you menu you can choose Simplified or Traditional which will change what gets displayed in the popup AND what version will be exported (if you choose both it will export both but display simplified in teh popup). Currently the export format is in GB2312 so it might looked scrambled in notepad or something but will read correctly when you import your list into a flashcard program that reads that encoding. Later I will add more features and fix little things here and there (I modded it in 5 hours) but it is way more than usable now so I figured it release it rather than using just for myself. Enjoy!! Comments/Ideas welcome.

peraperakun at gmail.com

get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3349/

yea your right there was something in the code looking for a dictionary to be installed....fixed that problem, sorry about that, i double checked it this time should work. so please uninstall it and try the new one. v0.1.1

ive been using it for awhile and so has my friend and finally decided to put it up for people so there might be a few problems at the beginning on other peoples machines...dunno

i uploaded the fix like over 12 hours ago but its waiting "approval" from mozilla which is just an automated script that checks the files validity, once thats over it will be on the same site and appear as ver 0.1.1 dunno when that will ever happen, but when it does you can download it from the same site

Yes, give us the new download link, please!

I am an active user of Rikaichan. Hanzi Bar is similar but Rikaichan has a better look-and-feel, I was looking forward to this innovation!

The alternative is Hanzi Bar, you can read any Chinese web-page in your Firefox, and you can do it off-line, too.

Hanzi Bar:

http://realimaginary.com/

It's a bit tricky, you also need to install dictionaries (separate download)

Let's see what peraperakun does!

Hi xentropic

I am stratring to teach myself to write basic Chinese.

You will imagine what a marvelous tool your pop up sounds !

I have installed it.

But like the others I need the CEDICT.

I think you should mention this in your description of your program and provide a link to where we can get it and how we should install it and where, and which version we should download as there seem to be 3 versions.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Digby

New Zealand

I made this post in one of the other threads that got deleted, but:

1.01 doesn't require any dictionaries installed, so no worries about that. This extension is incredible, it's simple and fast. That said the dictionary that is included could use some work in order for the extension to reach its full potential. I'll see if I can't help work on the extension.

In any case this is a must have extension already, even with the dictionary issues. Very useful stuff.

I have the extension working, and it is indeed very fast. I haven't tried it out fully yet, but if the dictionary is incomplete, maybe you get the Adsotrans dictionary adapted for it. The Adso dictionary uses the CEDICT dictionary as one of its bases, I believe.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/5563-adso-dictionary-open-source&highlight=source

Adso dictionary : open source?

http://www.adsotrans.com/

first, if anyone has download the first version i posted it wont work, so get the one that finally is posted on mozilla (ver 0.1.1) which will work fine. it has the CEDICT file included

yea if theres more dictionaries it would be easy to add them to the search, even without the entries you can usually figure out the meaning from going character by character, but ill see what else is out there

Xentropic,

I PM'ed you. My setup is not working.

Gato, please tell me what you did and how start up this extension.

I also have Rikaichan, maybe that's why it's not working, I don't see it in the tools or context menus.

atitarev, xentropic said that since his extension is modified from rikaichan, it can't currently coexist with rikaichan due to resource name conflicts. But he's working on correcting that for the next release. He said you can work around this for the moment by creating a new profile for Firefox.

ok, not that i want to promote my own posting....... but...

I had a look here:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/12-horse-horse-tiger-tiger-slang-and-idioms706

Post #6 by Quest was:

黐线,.....

黐 gives some sort of japanese pop up. I can do a screenshot if you can't get the same result.

But not a big issue though....