Chinese-Forums

Dangers of teaching English in China

md1101

Unfortunately, situations like this do occur, and when they do it's just outright sad.

As an expat living and teaching in China, a few words of wisdom to those considering teaching in China:

1. Research! Research! Research. Google the potential school's name + feedback. Ask managers for a list of recommendations from previous or current teachers. If they respond with a "confidentiality" statement, drop the idea of working for that school. Any reputable institution will offer up former or current teachers' emails for feedback.

2. Look for a school with joint western-Chinese management. This is particularly important in terms of communicating with the school before departure and throughout your contract.

3. Have a confirmed final copy of the contract in your hands before leaving, and DO NOT sign it until you have personally seen anything listed within the contract (the school, your flat, offices, etc.) and have seen that your empolyer has lived up to the agreed standards.

4. Many reputable institutions will arrange your Z visa before you leave via FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. This does not mean that good schools always will (mine was converted after arrival), but many will before departure.

5. More research! Don't take the first job that is offered to you. When applying / looking at schools in China I was offered positions by literally hundreds of schools, most of which seemed dodgy. The school I eventually ended up working for took a bit of "digging," as they weren't desperate for teachers (as many poor-quality schools are).

6. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

That's all I can think of. Stay safe. China is a wonderful country. I fell in love with the country and people after only 2 weeks. The language isn't as difficult to pick up as everyone back home thinks with diligent and daily study. Feel free to ask me questions via PM.

• 1 month later...

You know from what I've experienced every school is going to have a problem and do something (usually many) unprofessional.

This is the first I've heard of Murder or assult. The only problem is that should something happen, the foreign teacher is always at a disadvantage. The only real effective avenue you have is to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right, but it's not always easy though. The first school I went to here started out ok, but near the end of my first year when the Center Manager left and the new ones (quite a few came and went) came things so quickly went down hill. Teacher weren't getting their full air-fare, a new contract that gives the schools the right to fine employees for most anything came into effect, teachers were being refused their housing allowance, and more. This is over the course of two months. Things can change fast, and getting out of a contract isn't always easy.

True - places can go from bad to great to worse to closed to fantastic, depending on who is in charge, who's working there, how good business is, etc. Plus, even doing a whole load of research isn't always going to help - there simply isn't any information for a lot of places, a lot of what is out there is from people who don't know what they're talking about, etc, etc. Even the most careful, experience and prepared people hit problems (although they hit a lot less of them, and get out a lot quicker when they do.)

First, let me say that I feel bad for the people that have had bad experiences in China, and even worse for the family of the deceased person.

I guess, I think I should change my nickname to "The Lucky Guy"

I'm literally 5 days away from finishing my 1st year as an English teacher in Beijing.

Next Wednesday (the 15th), I'm heading back to the States to see family, renew visa, etc, and then coming right back (28th).

I like the people I work with. I like what I do and where I do it.

Are there things that aren't exactly perfect? Of course. It's a job. I have managers. I don't always agree with their decisions. But, I can respect the reasons for the decisions. (Which the directors at my school share with me.)

(I'm oldish, so I'll share a little bit of reality for those that haven't realized it yet... Disagreeing is common in the workplace. Managers sharing reasons for decisions is far too uncommon.)

And... China is not the US. Things are a bit different here. Some things happen slower than I would prefer. Other things happen quicker. And other things just happen differently.

There are things that I am perfectly happy with, that others may not be.

-My school pays me 3 or 4 days before the contract requires it, every time. But, I don't make as much as some other people, and as much as I know I could at other places.

-I was provided with a 2 bedroom apartment for myself to live in. But, I live in a locals area. Unless, I "go out", I literally go for a month at a time without seeing another foreigner. Also, a locals xili may not be up to the expectations of some people.

-I walk 15 minutes to the school that I work at. Ummm... Can't complain about this at all.

I have a tremendous amount of leeway in scheduling classes, curriculum, etc. (I had taught in the US before coming to China.)

---

I read the horror stories before I came. I read them still, even after I have been here for a year. Just makes me appreciate my situation even more.

Like I said, I feel lucky in a lot of ways.

---

And, yes. We are currently hiring 1 or 2 English Teachers. PT/FT DOQ. :)

(I'm oldish, so I'll share a little bit of reality for those that haven't realized it yet... Disagreeing is common in the workplace. Managers sharing reasons for decisions is far too uncommon.)

A lot of the problems people have are due to their teaching job in China being their first full-time job, and it being the first time they've lived abroad. A few extra years under your belt make a lot of difference.

I think there's just so much more to the situation than one single argument/article can cover. A lot of times, you might not have any idea about what went wrong.

My wife and I spent 2 wonderful years teaching at a university and things were so good we signed up for a 3rd year. Then the president changed and things went sour really quickly and fast. Within 1 month, we packed and left.

My one and only experiance in teaching English in China was 100% positive. However I organised that employment (only 1 month though) through my own contacts and as such didn't have to worry about one of these dodgy agencies.

I would say that the majority of experiance of teaching English in China will be rewarding and interesting, if you are patient, hardworking and enthusiastic. These dangers, discussed in the article, are certainly very much in the minority.

there simply isn't any information for a lot of places, a lot of what is out there is from people who don't know what they're talking about
Well said. Reminds me of the old saying "For every ten people you make happy they'll tell one person what a great job you did, for every person you make unhappy, they'll tell everyone even if they didn't ask."

I also like what was said about coming abroad so fresh and not even having a good grasp of how things work in your own country. I've actually seen that where people complain about something here but it's done as well in Canada, or was done in Canada not too long ago.

I really think people believe that just because China has modern technology that everything should be done in as modern and professional a fashion as western countries. It just isn't the case. Mao really held them back in this area (Yes this is my opinion, not fact).

• 4 weeks later...

I think the guy's biggest mistake was to threaten the school owner/boss by telling the police he was operating illegally. He should have just quietly left for greener pastures IMO.

I've also heard of a Lot more Violent crime in Guang Zhou than in other places. Sounds like a place I wouldn't want to go.

I completely agree with that sentiment and was what I was going to say before I made it down to your post:

An argument ensued, Russell resigned and threatened to tell police Luo was operating illegally, the former employee said.

I learned a long time ago never to threaten someone's livelihood. Whether it's a street salesman that cheats you or a CEO, as soon as you do this you force them into a corner where they will fight back just as hard and nasty as any animal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Having read the article on Dangers of Teaching in China has made me feel even worse about going. I have read so many horrid stories even ones about organ snatching etc...I really want to teach English in Shanghai. i came across 2 schools, one is Campus Earth and the other is Scholastic. Everything was going great until they asked for a photocopy of my passport. I questionned it but never got a reply. Scholastic seems OK as a friend in Shanghai told me about it. has anyone heard of English First??

I would love some good advice on schools or if someone could recommend a school to me..

Awaiting a reply.........

well...I understand that most schools ask for your passport copy...I have had one school that asked for a copy even before they offered me anything...I though it was odd, nevermind!!!

As for the organ snatching....I have only heard about it from a Chinese friend in Dalian...I have no idea if its true or not but in India I know it is. If you google it an article should come up. Yes I know most think its amusing but you cant help but think the worst.:mrgreen:

If anyone can recommend a school in Shanghai, do let me know. A friend of mine in Shanghai found 2 schools for me, One is Scholastic and the other is Campus Earth...has anyone heard of these???

Speak soon