Chinese-Forums

Dangers of teaching English in China

md1101

I haven't heard of those two. There are SO many English schools here, with new ones opening and crappy ones closing all the time.

I do know about English First though. They're a HUGE international placement agency / school. I know a guy here in Harbin that teaches for them (he's from South Africa with a really heavy accent). They'll take just about anyone and throw you just about anywhere (at least from what I've heard).

As far as organ snatching: do your research. I'd think the big cities would be less full of this type of behavior, and that it'd be more common in small villages / not so big cities. Shanghai is huge, you'd have lots of opportunities there.

All-in-all, do your research, ask for past and current references (several), and don't drink the complimentary post-contract signing champagne.

hiya..thank you for the advice. I guess there is a lot to take in. My aim is to improve my Mandarin and I thought if I do a TEFL course, I would be able to work and learn at the same time. I am also interested in maybe enrolling at ECNU (East China Normal University) to do a language course for 1 month in June. That way I can see for myself and look for a job when I go out there. That way I am not committing myself to 6months etc. Its all up in the air.

How long have to worked in China for? I have no teaching experience so I don't know how I will cope with the whole teaching thing....

speak soon

• 1 month later...

@yinduren

English First - if you go to China this is one outfit you will hear lots about. In China it is run on a franchise basis so, in theory, there should be some consistency throughout the schools, but there isn't. If you really want to know about EF go and take a look at the postings on Dave's ESL Cafe, there are hundredes of them.

Go to http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=9 and then search 'English First'.