Chinese-Forums

character to pinyin converter

freefall

Is there any currently available software that can convert chinese characters to pinyin? I don't just mean a dictionary that can do one character at a time, but something capable to converting a string to hanzi into pinyin so I can read the chars in webpages or other documents (my pinyin is better than my hanzi recognition).

Thanks!

(hopefully this is possible--I don't know enough Chinese to know if there are ambiguities which would prevent this type of conversion)

I seem to have ground that thread to a halt with my wish to convert more than a few charcters at a time. Otherwise, it's a great tool, once you learn to bring up the codes (Alt-F9) for adjustments. Then I always start by changing SimSun to Times New Roman (doesn't affect the Chinese), make sure the code for centering is used (jc2?, not jc0? too lazy to find a document to check), and increase the size (experiment!) and lift the ruby text (ditto!). After toggling back (A-F9) to normal view, I have to force Times New Roman on the complete document. The characters still stay, but the ruby text is improved.

An entire document[/b'] can be converted at once.

(My bold.) How do you manage? I run MSW 2002/SP3 under W XP Pro, supposed to be automatically updated, and last time I tried, there still was this half a dozen of characters limit for each conversion batch.

(My bold.) How do you manage? I run MSW 2002/SP3 under W XP Pro, supposed to be automatically updated, and last time I tried, there still was this half a dozen of characters limit for each conversion batch.

Ah, sorry, I don't use this facility. I only tried it before on my computer with a small sample, didn't realize it had a size limitation. Have you tried using a macro?

If you are OK with using copy-and-paste to do the job, have a look at these

HanConv (convert hanzi to pinyin):

http://www.users.on.net/~aliceyeung/software/1.php

Pinyin with tone marks:

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/converter-pinyin-unicode.html

• 4 months later...
Ah, sorry, I don't use this facility. I only tried it before on my computer with a small sample, didn't realize it had a size limitation. Have you tried using a macro?

I tried to record a macro, but the "smart" feature made it reproduce the once recorded phrase, not pinyin'ing anything new highlighted. I have been too lazy to learn the intricacies of this latest macro language. Just when I got fairly proficient in the previous Word macro language, they replaced it.

I haven't looked at the conversion tools mentioned, but I suppose they output a pinyin string. I would love to have a utility that gives ruby text for a complete document.

Microsoft's reason might be that you have more control through the intermediate window, where you can edit the ruby text, but has a restricted size. For changes, I prefer, as mentioned, to switch to the code view and then do some search and replaces.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
In case you are interested' date=' this online program provides ruby support, for hanzi to pinyin ..

[url']http://www.primezero.com/terminal/hanzi_to_pinyin[/url]

I know this is an old thread but a bunch of unsuitable results came up for my Google search, and this link is the first result that does what I want:

Conversion to Pinyin throwing out the original characters (so I can practice writing)

Note: It seems to redirect to http://chinesetopinyin.dofufa.com/

Thanks geek_frappa!

--P.S. Rats, it throws out punctuation...