Chinese-Forums

Pinyinput - Type Pinyin with Tone Marks

imron

That's fine if you only want to type one tone mark at a time, then switch back to the normal keyboard to type a few more letters, then switch back again to type another tone mark, and so on. You also have to remember which vowel the tone is supposed to be placed over. Typing this way is certainly possible, it's just a pain, and if you're typing more than a word or two of pinyin, it gets boring pretty quickly.

It's not that there aren't other methods of typing tones, it's just that existing methods are not convenient. Pinyinput attempts to solve this issue.

Out of curiosity, I've downloaded the program. All I have to say is WOW! I rarely need to type pinyin, but this program is absolutely brilliant. The file is so small, yet it is so effective. Thanks so much for creating this tool!

Imron, thumbs up, the application is so small, yet so great.:) I was searching for such application for some time. I have a work where I need to input tons of pinyin. The method in Windows/Office is very impractical and I was using NJStar Word Processor's function of conversion of characters in pinyin. But it was awkward to copy-paste from WP to Word all the time .:roll:

But your application solves all my problems. Thank you very much!:clap

• 2 weeks later...

nín hǎo,

Thanking you very much, most helpful and useful tool if you ask me. I am just beginning to learn Mandarin and I find it hard in chinese chat scenarios to actually get people to understand what I need help with, with your app the problem has seized.

A credit to you and an many thanks.

Good karma.

Now featured on Wikipedia. Until someone edits it out, of course. Wikipedia links generate a lot of traffic - we used to have a few to the forums but I think they've all been edited out now - and I can see that link quite prominently in referrals to the forums, so you're likely getting quite a few new users.

I'm also going to add a cheeky note to the original post asking all the visitors from Wikpedia to stick around and join in.

Re: Finally, the Pinyin tool you've all been waiting for.

Madizi, you can also use HanConv to do a mass conversion of characters to pinyin. Just double-check for mistakes after the automatic conversion.

HanConv is available here:

http://www.users.on.net/~aliceyeung/

Thanks for posting it, Gato. Is this permanent?

The original site (don't open: www.icycloud.tk) seems to be taken over by someone else (if I'm not mistaken). It's a simple but a nice tool, would be sorry, if it's lost for others.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go to the pinyinput options, you should be able to set the keyboard layout to Finnish and the dead keys should work. When writing Pinyinput, I specifically added support for different keyboard layouts and Finnish was the layout I used for testing dead-keys.

Actually, I've just checked this now and it worked fine so long as the dead-key isn't the first key that you press. So, if you choose the Finnish keyboard layout in the options, then if you want to type nǚ it will work using the standard 'dead-key u', as well as by typing v. However if you are using un-checked mode and want ǚ to be the first character, then the dead-key won't work.

Oh, I got it! :) I had to visit the 'Pinyinput Configuration' screen (right-click the language bar, select Settings, highlight the pinyinput, click Properties.) and set the 'Keyboard Layout' to 'suomalainen' (Finnish). The field was empty before this. (I'm using WinXP Home edition.)

To get 'nǚ' I can now type [n]+[¨]++[3], but [n]+[v]+[3] works also. This is good, because the [¨]+ key combination for 'ü' is so hard coded in my fingers that changing it would be quite painful. :mrgreen:

Thank you very much!

I had to visit the 'Pinyinput Configuration' screen (right-click the language bar, select Settings, highlight the pinyinput, click Properties.)
Actually, on the pinyinput toolbar, there's also a little button that will take you to the options (it's the second button from the end).
so hard coded in my fingers that changing it would be quite painful

And that's the reason I added the keyboard layouts :-) I figured users of non-QWERTY keyboards would find it a pain if they couldn't use the layout they were used to. It's supposed to default to whatever the default keyboard is on the computer, but I guess it didn't do that correctly for you..

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your software. I've been using dvorak for years, this is really useful.

When switching to MS Pinyin for typing chinese characters, I notice that my keyboard stays mapped to dvorak instead of querty which is great. However I noticed similar behaviour last time when MS Pinyin too before I installed your pinypin, and after logging out everything reverted to querty.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I get your meaning. Are you saying that your normal default input method has reverted to QWERTY after installing pinyinput? Or that pinyinput reverts to the QWERTY layout instead of the Dvorak?

If the former, then I'm not sure why installing pinyinput would cause that to happen but if so I'll look into it further and see if I can figure out why. In the meantime, try going to the list of input methods and see if for some reason the QWERTY keyboard has been installed and if so, then just remove it. I'm pretty sure the Dvorak keyboard will still be there, but for whatever reason it's not the default.

Sorry, maybe I was a bit unclear. My pinypin installation works well.

I just want the same behaviour for the MS PRC pinyin input method for typing the real chinese characters.

"Another feature is that Pinyinput can support multiple different keyboard layouts"

I mean, MS pinyin always uses querty for the underlying layout. I've got it once working with dvorak, but it switched back to querty-pinyin and I really want to use dvorak for everything I do.