Chinese-Forums

Pinyinput - Type Pinyin with Tone Marks

imron

When I use Pinyinput in Gmail and on Chinese-Forums, as I'm typing text, it continues to display the letters up and to the left of where the cursor is located. As soon as I type the number for the tone, though, the text appears where I want it to be, so there's really not a problem. If I want to, I can click on and drag the little box of text that is displaying the letters I'm typing down to where I actually want the text to go. Alternatively, I can just get used to the fact that Pinyinput displays text, as I'm typing it, in a place other than where my cursor is located. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work???

When I use Pinyinput in MS Notepad the letters appear in the same place as the text I'm typing.

I'm using Windows 7. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I only just started to use Pinyinput 2 days ago, although I have had it on my machine for awhile. The first time I used it it worked fine, excellent stuff. Then I discovered it had taken over my language bar and I couldn't use my IME.

I had to uninstall Pinyinput to regain my IME.

Not sure if this is connected but also Perapera stopped working at the same time, i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no change. I have emailed the developer about that and we will see what they say.

Thanks Manuel, I might well try it, I wanted to let imron know that I had an issue with it, it might be me or it might be Pinyinput but I thought it best to let him know in case there is a problem with Pinyinput that he is unaware of.

When I chose Chinese input from the language bar I get a choice of Microsoft IME or Pinyinput.

I used Pinyinput the other day, it worked fine. Today when I chose ch from the language bar I had the same choices but when I chose Microsoft IME it went away and I could only choose Pinyinput, no matter what I did the only way to get my IME back was to uninstall Pinyinput.

• 5 months later...

Hi Imron, I'm using Windows 10 on a 64-bit PC (formerly a w7 laptop that I unfortunately had to reformat, and then couldn't face re-installing over 3 years of w7 updates on!). Should the insertion of apostrophes in Pinyinput be automatic? For example, when typing Xi1an1 without pause, should the output automatically become Xī'ān? I find that when I try to type just that (Xi1an1), my PC makes a harp-like sound (the w10 "does not compute" default) and I end up with just xīn1. Anyway, it isn't much bother to add the apostrophe manually before proceeding to the next syllable, but I was just wondering if this was a glitch or something that maybe hadn't been brought to your attention (I've only read back through the thread to about 2012 as w10 is pretty recent, assuming that's the culprit!).

Believe it or not this is the first time I've used anything like Pinyinput (I used to make do with laboriously copying and pasting from the MDBG Pinyin inputter LOL, but I suppose I didn't have THAT much stuff to type up back then). As there must be plenty of people using it fine with w7 I guess it's just something to do with w10 (have [m]any other CF members made the switch?) rather than my unique :):wink: laptop. There's another w7 computer (a desktop PC) in my household though, that's maybe due a switch to w10 (lots of failed, well, aborted updates, getting very laggy in comparison, etc), so if you like I'll give Pinyinput a before-if-not-after go on that when I have access to it! (Could take at least a day or two though, and its owner might want to stick with w7 regardless, so...).

Ok, I'm guessing it's something that will happen on all versions then, rather than just a regression on win10.  From memory, the apostrophe detection is very rudimentary and just always checks at the start of any syllable that requires one (those starting with a, e or o, when it's not the start of a word).

• 4 months later...

There is a way to type tone marks on consonants.

Just open the configuration dialog (the button on the toolbar that looks like gear cogs) and choose 'Unchecked' input mode and make sure 'Allow tone marks over consonants' is checked.

Then just type the tone number after the consonant, e.g. n3 will give you ň.  You can change between 'Checked' and 'Unchecked' mode by pressing Ctrl+.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...