Chinese-Forums

English First, Hefei...any thoughts???

yorkshire rich

Ive just been offered a job in Hefei by English first and as per the great advice on here ive started to do my research on the internet. However English School Watch.com has some pretty damming testimonials from ex teachers but they're all dated from last year.

Is possible that they've cleaned up their act in a year? has anyone heard anything about them? I know they're a franchised language school but apart from that im little lost.

Any help, or advice anyone has got....or could point me in the right direction, would be great!

Cheers Chinese Forum

It's entirely possible they've got their act together over the course of a year - I've seen places go from complete nightmare to decent place to work over that kind of timespan (it then went downhill again, but never mind). And if they have improved, they'll be happy to refer you to a couple of current or (better) recently departed teachers who can verify the fact.

Otherwise, avoid. There are some decent EF schools, but like many franchises they're variable and for my money you are better off taking a chance on a complete unknown rather than a school which you are sure has recently been a bad place to work.

I spent a summer in Hefei back in 2004 and the DOS at English First was a really cool lady. Most of the teachers enjoyed their job.

I know she quit a while back and have no other realiable information than that. Try looking up the hefei expat forums and ask your question there.