Chinese-Forums

Vote - Posh Language!!

Koneko

If you can only pick ONE language, which language do you think has the most elegant sound?

uhh...funny question.

Korean and Japanese sounds beautiful. Also Mandarin and Shanghaiese.

Among European languages, I am most interested in learning German. German sounds very rugged, which I find appealing. I'm not too interested in the Romance languages even though there is a widely held consensus that they sound more appealing than Germanic languages.

Italian sounds nice to me!

I had an Italian cubicle neighbor before and it was always so nice to just listen to him speak, no matter whether it was Italian or English....he had a very soothing voice, best cubicle neighbor ever!

Spanish, despite being exposed to it alot and studying it, I never really thought it sounded good or bad. The same with French.

Mandarin sounds ok to me but sometimes when women speak it really gets high pitched! I've had some teachers that I thought were going to blow out my eyedrums, but similarly I can't handle the baby-voiced mandarin either. Cantonese sounds much deeper, women speak it it almost sounds manly. Taiwan accented Mandarin sounds cute to me, and then whenever people speak a Chinese dialect I don't understand, they just sound like they are arguing....

Korean, I can't help it I only hear a stream of o, mo, omni, bo, and other utterances....it makes my head spin, and I think I just have negative associations with it after being trapped in classrooms where everyone except for me was speaking it instead of Mandarin...before class....during class.....on the way back from class......oooooooooh omniiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Japanese sounds ok, but somehow it seems like the women are out of breath when they speak....when they speak it together and get really worked up I really think someone is going to pass out.

English, as a native English speaker, it doesn't sound good or bad to me, just a tool for communication. I don't think anyone can really list their native language as the most "melodic", or elegant....

And there it is, my random impression of a few languages (somehow this thread just makes me think of that scene from A Fish Called Wanda......ok, moving right along...)

"Posh language" is a completely subjective thing and anything that tries to prove one language is "posher"/ "more beautiful" than another is a complete waste of time.

Anyway, there's one language that sounds very bad to my ear, and that is because I happen not to like a family who come from that country. :D