Chinese-Forums

Grammar for a noob

daxia

Hey All

I have never really bothered to learn grammar for real, and thats not just Chinese Im talking about, but all languages I can speak. I have always been able to "feel" whats right and whats wrong and never bothererd to learn the rules, and it has worked good so far.

But, now Im starting to feel that this is starting to slow down my Chinese progress. Because of the "国庆节" there will be a one week holiday, and this will be a good chance to catch up.

What I want to learn is the basics, so that I can understand the more advanced things. I know what 名词,动词,形容词 is but thats nothing. I need to know it all, like: "谓语,定语,副词, etc etc. And I need more than just a translation. I know that 副词 = Adverb, but I dont know what a adverb is. So I need explanations and examples for them all.

Does anyone know a good webpage to learn all this ?

Thanks in advance !

I found a good page myself http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~rsimmon/chingram/

but since I am a grammar NOOB, I still need some help.

Could someone please explain to me (in a simple way) what a "morpheme" is and give me a good example ?

Also, please tell me the difference between a "bound Morpheme" and a "Free morpheme".

Could someone please explain to me (in a simple way) what a "morpheme" is and give me a good example ?

”morpheme” is called “词素”.

(linguistics语言学) smallest meaningful unit into which a word can be divided.

‘Run-s’ contains tow morphemes and ‘un-like-ly’ contains threes.

(Note: The materials above are from page 958, “Oxford Advanced Leaner’s English-Chinese Dictionary” Forth edition by The Commercial Press & Oxford University Press)

Also, please tell me the difference between a "bound Morpheme" and a "Free morpheme".

According to the example above, you might understand that a “bound morpheme” is like “s” in “run-s”, and “un”, “ly” in “un-like-ly”, which depends on some concrete word to make sense, while a “free morpheme” is like “run” in “run-s” and “like” in “un-like-ly”, which can make sense themselves.

Thanks!