Chinese-Forums

Bejing 1930ies

Mathias

Hi,

I'm a documentary director from Germany and I'm researching the life of Swiss photographer Walter Bosshard in Bejing from 1933 to 1939.

He lived in a House at "Ch'un Shu Hutung 32", which was part of an old Palace, close to the forbidden city. Is there anybody who knows if this house is still standing ? If so, what is now in there ? Is there anybody in Bejing, who could email photographs of the house ?

Kean to hear some news

Mathias

there are still some hutongs around the forbidden city, but the details you've given don't really narrow things down very much! if you have the chinese characters for the hutong and/'palace' there might be someone here who's come across the place. unlikely though...

also might be worth contacting the swiss embassy here, and maybe chinese photography societies...

Name of the Hutong: I can only retranslate from german into english: the name would be in chinese something like "spring tree alley". The building was part of a complex in the embassy quarter. The brazilian embassy was located in the same palace.