Chinese-Forums

Living in Qingdao, China - Why are you here?

urbanstereotype

Ok, so ive been living in China for about 3 months now and to be honest, im loving it.

Im living in Qingdao (East Coast between BJ and SH for those who dont know it), and i must say that the western population is very thin.

Is there anyone else living here or is it just me?

I also spend alot of time in BJ and will be there nearly half the time in a few months, so this goes out to you people from QD and BJ.

Why are you here? What do you do? And where the hell do you party?

In BJ ive been to Khai Club (i think thats the spelling, Mix, some little rock/indy bar and a few others)

Qingdao is pretty crap for nightlife, ive only been to the Corner Jazz bar and the Brother Bar.

:roll:

I experienced Qingdao during the summer time, and there was a good number of Westerners because of the foreign exchange programs. You're right, during the rest of the year, it's probably pretty thin. I had a great time when I was there though. Corner Jazz Bar and Club New York were the hot spots, but only go to New York for the scenery and music, not the price of drinks... it's real NY prices.

• 1 year later...

While I'm not there anymore, I was there pretty recently. There were a fair few other westerners (or Russians, not sure) around. Probably not as many as Beijing or Shanghai, but certainly a fair few.

I was there because that's where my girlfriend's family lives :). I have no idea where the nightlife could be - Qingdao didn't seem like a city terribly inclined to party until the wee hours of the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

What I wouldn't give to be in Qingdao. If you want no westerners, which I think is good because I came to China to get away from the west, and a dead night life come on up to Yantai. There is a grand total of maybe 5 bars that don't play horrific, ear-bustingly loud Chinese disco music. And out of those five, four of them are empty.

Be happy you're not 2 hours North from where you are now.

• 1 year later...

Seems to me that night-life and events calendar is not so bad in Qingdao. I plan to go there sometime next year (most likely March or April), and I have a subscription to a Qingdao nightlife newsletter which is sent to my Inbox every two weeks .And it doesn't look too bad. They even have a facebook page where one can become a fan of theirs and follow them, albeit, as long as you can access FB from there...

Still, by reading the posts, specially the mention that western population is rather thin during the non-summer period is like music to my ears. I think not being in a place like BJ or SH is much better for learning Chinese...

Cheers.