Chinese-Forums

Speaking and Listening Online

RedMoon

Hello! I've only just signed up a few minutes ago (though I've been reading for a few hours), and I've been learning Cantonese for about as long - not very. So please be patient with me.

I really want to learn to speak (and read/write) Cantonese, as a good friend of mine from primary school used to speak it. His mother taught me how to count and say a few words, but I have forgotten about 95% of what I had "learnt". Anyway, the *main* reason why I want to learn Cantonese is because we had a great friendship (even though we only knew each other for two years), and also because he recently got back in contact with me this year. His mother, and his whole family, were extremely hospitable to me, and I've always felted indebted to them for their kindness. I would like to thank them in their own language, even though they are very good at English, because I feel it is important for me to show my gratitude. Being relatively poor with nothing substantial to offer, I think that learning Cantonese and thanking them is the best way to do this.

Apart from the aforementioned reasons, I'd really like to learn a new language, and I can't wait to dig in. So my main question is this:

Does this community have online/virtual "get togethers" where everyone can chat in Cantonese Chinese, and if not, would anyone with a reasonable amount of experience like to organise a time to talk? You would be reinforcing your own learning by explicitly teaching a beginner (me) - I remember Socrates or Aristotle said something about articulation and teaching one self (don't I sound pompous by referring to philosophy? ;))

The reason I ask is because I'd like to talk to a *person* rather than the wind.

Many thanks.

RedMoon.