Chinese-Forums

Sogou pinyin, Sogou Chinese IME

badr

• 6 months later...

hi,

I just tried the sogou pinyin v5.1c, it is pretty quick and has a hand-writing input (as an extension) feature that I liked most.

The one issue is that the default skin doesn't have indicator for simplified/traditional input status. Is anyone here can recommend me a skin that look alike the default skin?

• 8 months later...

Bumping up this thread.

My mother wants to ship me her iMac desktop now that she doesn't need it anymore - last week she got herself an iPad.

I told her I will accept it only if I can get Sogou pinyin input running on that iMac desktop. I have to be able to type both simp and trad characters. Anyone here with experience using Sogou on a Mac?

I've been Sogou-ing for years on my HP desktops by the way.

Sogou doesn't run on a mac, however there is an IME called QIT that uses the sogou sentence database with much the same effect. It would be my recommended IME for Mac users.

Edit: it seems my knowledge of Mac input methods is a little outdated. Sogou does run on a Mac, and runs quite well (see below).

Hmm, looking at the Sogou website which claims to have a Mac version available. But I don't know anyone who does Sogou or QIT on a Mac. Ah, well, never mind that, I just told my mother to keep the Mac for herself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just tried the Mac version of Sogou and here are my observations so far:

GOOD:

- Works seamlessly, BUT is still very limited (as seems to be the problem with all Chinese software for Mac - take QQ for example).

- I really like how it separates English words from the Chinese characters.

- Good at guessing sentences.

BAD:

- No traditional characters, WTF Sogou??

- Surprisingly, it provides less abundant palettes of characters than QIM - for example, typing "wo" will display 58 characters, while QIM gives you 65 characters; typing "ma" gives you 45 characters in Sogou, while in QIM you get 55, etc.); but i guess it's the same in the Windows version for that matter - still, disappointing in my opinion. (Not that you will ever need all of those characters, but it's still nice to have as many as possible).

- Skins - some work, others don't.

- Very limited settings as I mentioned above. Can't select which vocabs etc. you wish Sogou to recognize, no font settings, no nada. Except the number of palette candidates.

- How to switch quickly between candidate palettes? The "down" arrow will only switch through character by character but now the whole page at once.

QIM still seems to be a better choice for now, though I surely wish I could transfer some of the Sogou functionality to it and make it perfect... Sigh.

How to switch quickly between candidate palettes

. and , it's quite a common shortcut for IMEs

As for the other points, yeah, I guess it's not quite there yet. There is however a 用户反馈 option in the Sogou menu :-)

I mostly use Wubi these days anyway so it's not so much of an issue.

Sougou for Mac . . . wow! Thanks for posting the good news!

A question for those of you who are using Sougou - is there a way to enter pin-yin with tone marks? So far that is the only thing I miss about QIM (where you just have to press TAB then RETURN to choose the tone mark).

Just a note: With the Lion system upgrade both the Mac native pin-yin input and handwriting input have improved quite a bit. The pin-yin input is now the same as on the iPhone/iPad etc, meaning a large 'candidate window'. Also pressing caps lock will change to English input. Much better than before. When using handwriting input, there is now an option to 暂停, which frees up the cursor. It is not incredibly intuitive, but quite a bit better than before.

Ah yeah, stupid me. For some reason I didn't see that, thanks. I've already posted my complaints on their forum, but there doesn't seem to be going on much there, so who knows if they will even read it.

Yeah, unfortunately Sogou for Mac is still in its very nascent state, but at least its very basic function of (simplified) pinyin input seems to work really well. And it still beats QIM in terms of even greater accuracy in guessing one's sentences, but that's about all it does better than QIM (minus separating English words from Chinese).

However, for heavy users like myself it is still quite inadequate (should at least offer traditional input as well, and more customization). I really do hope they will do a better job in bringing its functionality to Mac than the QQ developers have done with QQ for Mac thus far.

No traditional characters, WTF Sogou??

Is this feature missing on the Mac? On the PC version, you can seamlessly switch between Simplified and Traditional by clicking Ctrl+Shift+F... There has to be something similar on the Mac version >_<

Hmm, actually they are not missing... try typing "dui" or "ma" and browsing through all the character palettes and you'll find the traditional variants of the characters too. So apparently they are there, it's just that you won't be able to switch to traditional input per se...

• 4 months later...