Chinese-Forums

Doing CELTA course in China

Horse

Just wondering if anyone has done a CELTA course while living in China? I'm living in Qingdao and need to get one for a job i'm applying for. I understand its a four-week course, is that right? Would like to know anything about costs, where i can do it, and duration. Any information would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Horse

• 2 months later...

A lot of employers will know what is is, some will be willing to pay extra for it, and the best will require it. And if you are looking at teaching long-term either in China or elsewhere it makes a lot of sense to get it under your belt as soon as possible.

Language link have a schedule and price list for their Celta in Beijing - price looks comparable to Europe? Not sure, been years since I paid any attention. They also do the TKT, which I think it designed for non-native teachers of English.

Wouldn't say the CELTA is hell - intense maybe, but the content is hardly rocket science. As long as you are managing your time ok you'll be fine.

I did one in Shanghai. I think the CELTA really teaches you a lot, or at least as much as they can in a one month course. In my case, most of the language/linguistic theory was easy because I had done all the pre-reading they had given to me. But I really valued the in-class critiques of my lessons. I think that that practical aspect is very valuable, especially if you have been teaching in China for a while. Most students and colleagues don’t really know how to give you practical advice that you can use, even if you recognize that your classes could be improved.

Personally, I didn’t think it was too hard (mainly because I had heard all the gruesome war stories of my friends and co-workers who had done it in years past, so I was expecting the worst). It is intense though. And you will work all day long, everyday for a month.

It’s true that CELTA isn’t widely recognized so far in China. Yet, I do think it is getting more recognized, especially at some of the more reputable schools.

Why bother doing a CELTA? Because without it you've got no qualifications as an English teacher and after 'teaching' for a while without one i'm not comfortable taking money off people for a job i'm not doing as well as i could.

Thanks for the info Roddy and Wushijiao. Im sure its not exactly splitting the atom, looks like i'll be giving it a whirl in Beijing

I suppose if you have adequate experience of teaching it would not be so hard. I had no experience, so I found it a sruggle. What it teaches you is very valuable however.

I thought a TKT was aimed at native speakers and non-native speakers that want to teach, could be wrong though.

• 2 months later...

I've been in China now for a month and I've not been held accountable to anything that would reflect any sort of teaching qualifications. I'd like to however better my working conditions in the long run but I've gotten conflicting information about the relative merits of any certification

I've read posts by people with ESL training and observed their classrooms and was embarassed by their poor command of English. On the other hand, I've heard that CELTA is primarily for Canadian teachers and then it's also a qualification to teach other teachers.

I also would like to think that with experience my qualifications will increase but I have serious doubts given the low expectations that I have placed on me here, the low position of oral english in this institution, and how that will be looked upon in any further employment search.

What really is the most cost effective certification that can be gotten online?

Hi MItchell67

I am currently enrolled in a CELTA course in Durban, South Africa.

First, let me assure you that the CELTA (Certificate in English Language Training for Adults) is an international certificate offered through Cambridge University and in no way is designed for, or confined to a specific nationality. That this may be the case in China I cannot say, although I would find this a dubious link with Cambridge.

Second, Although from posts on this forum it apears CELTA is not likely to make any substantial difference in successfully landing a job in China (for now), I can assure you it will assist your ability to teach better, and presumably enjoy your experience that much more.

Lastly, the course workload is large. As far as intensity goes, if you have ever waited on tables, it is kind of like your first day at peak hour - you start off overwhelmed but gradually you find your rhythmn get used to the pace. Before you know it, you have spare time!

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I did the CELTA at language link Beijing, and would highly recommend it. the only bad point about the CELTA is that due to its intensive nature the second half of it more or less went over my head. It is a good qualification, and along with the trinity certificate are the only two internationally recognised qualifications. I am currenly working for language link teaching and promoting an paid internship we are running, starting in septmber 2007 for nine months. Basically its a light teaching schedule (which doesn't start until you've already recieved some training) integrated with teacher training by a CELTA tutor, for the full nine months, this is probably the best way to learn how to teach. Otherwise our next CELTA course starts on 2nd of June, and then the 13th of October. if you are intersested you can check out our website: www.languagelink.com.cn or email me at qualify@languagelink.com.cn

All the best and good luck!

With the CELTA, you are also paying for evaluators to come out during the course and evaluate the CELTA tutors. They want to make sure the level of teaching and the quality of marks in the CELTA course is uniform no matter where it is being held.

As a result, many of the top tier schools require a CELTA, especially if the student in question is not from a native English speaking country.

Other courses may in fact have better content (I don't know, since I took the CELTA myself), but will close you off from certain teaching opportunities. If it is just an average job that you want, then sure, the name doesn't matter.

I find it hard to believe that a school would "only accept CELTA graduates". That's a little like saying, "Our company will only hire graduates from xyz university."

I'm sure any school, however, that did post that it would only accept graduates from CELTA would consider a good amount of experience + enter generic TESOL course certification here "in lieu" of a CELTA.

I'm not saying the CELTA course isn't good, I'm sure it is. That they hire trainers to fly around and evalutate the trainees is a great idea. However, I feel that its name doesn't necessarily make it better than every other course out there, and its price sure as heck doesn't either.

• 8 years later...