Chinese-Forums

Poker game in Chengdu?

nitropuppy

Geez Smalltown, did I offend you in some way? You ask ...

Just wondering, do people still use the term "chinaman" where you come from?

Is this now a derogatory word ? What is the "PC" term these days. The "PC" police haven't left me the 2006 large bible of correct terms.

I'll try to figure it out. Let's see,.... they call me an American. And someone from Africa an African. A person from Mexico is a mexican. Maybe the "PC" correct term is Chinacan. (no...........that doesn't sound right.)

Hmmmm? I can't really say asian. That's too broad a term. I'm at a loss.!!!

Anyway, hopefully Smalltownfart will enlighten me. It's just good to know that the "PC" police are out there in full force, checking every written word on the planet. Correcting poor uneducated boobs such as myself. I feel so much safer now.Thank you!

Don't overreact Nitropuppy. Chinaman is simply a derogatory term that gained currency from Anglo speakers mocking the pigeon English of Chinese people (it is a literal translation of 中国人). Search for usage examples of the word on Google if you don't believe it. Everyone today says "Chinese".

No one is accusing you of being racist, although I'd be curious to know if other people say it where you come from too. Between that and the suggestion that Chinese people are somehow more inscrutable than Westerners, it just seems like you've been reading a lot of 19th century British fiction about Asia.

As far as poker goes, there are lots of small game rooms (棋牌室 qi2pai2shi4) around Beijing where people go to play cards and gamble. Chengdu must have them too. If you like poker you should find someone to teach you Mahjong. It's similar since the goal is to build the right runs and pairs. And you can play strategically with your partner too.

• Like 1

I'm just tired of over-sensitive nanny state individuals who see insult and racism at every uttered word. To set the record straight, my wife is chinese, I love the chinese and their amazing culture. I have nothing but respect for the chinese. My comment was not meant to be racist in the least. I was only noting that many chinese people are far more subtle in their facial expressions. (as compared to westerners) They have a good poker face. I actually admire that. That's all. Simple, harmless. No insult meant. No animosity. My deepest and most sincere apology to any chinam... er.....chinese male gendered person who might have been offended.

Some real texas hold'em would be nice in Cheng Du. I have showed Texas holdem online to several of my friends in Cheng Du, but so far none of them knows this kind of poker. They only play their own kind of poker. SO I adapted and now it is all about Mahjong and I love it..... The stakes depend on who I play....So far everything from 1 yuan to 20 yuan per point. My best win so far is 2000 in one night, and my worst is down 1300 in one night.

Update me if you find Texas anywhere in Cheng Du.

nitropuppy:

Don't be sensitive, I'm not calling you a racist. I am not offended at all. I'm genuinely curious as to the kind of places where this term would still be used. I would expect maybe a pre baby-boomer to use it; it is so archaic now, it made me do a double take when I saw it.

OK, back to the poker games in Chengdu...

Just to answer the queries on where I'm from. I'm from the New England region of the U.S.

It's an area well known for.............er......ahh...... I'll stop here. I don't want to say the wrong thing again.

don't take it personally. i hope we all can smile about this.:D

the chinamen were talking about how black people are stupid and loud monkeys and nobody stood up to defend with kungfu or nunchucks or anything... :oops: that's why i like poker. it's one of those games that brings everyone together no matter how squinty yours eyes are or how big your nose is...

geek frappa, your idea about a charity poker event is fantastic. And the game does tend to bring peoples together. Which is good. Just as long as those who gamble, gamble well within their means.

As for your last comment, I don't quite "get it".............but I've learned my lesson. I'm not touchin' that one with a ten foot pole.:wink: