Chinese-Forums

Private Chinese Schools in Beijing

roddy

Any info on private chinese schools in Beijing. I've heard good things about the Bridge School at COFCO Plaza, but I've also heard of others up near the universities in Haidian.

I'll probably wind up going to the Bridge School for evening classes, as it's on the subway and so am I.

Roddy

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm now in a position to answer my own question. I went along to the Bridge School last night to try a lesson. They let you have one hour's free lesson, but I asked nicely and got two hours.

They have a very nice environment, basically small offices with whiteboards. They are small, but then so are the classes. I was trying the 'Advanced Class' - which actually means 'The Highest Class we've got' - the book they were using was intermediate, and I don't think you could describe the class as advanced - certainly not when you think of what you'd expect from an advanced user of English.

There were only two of us in the class, myself and someone from an embassy. There were 3 or 4 enrolled, but they didn't turn up. The teacher was good, lively, and kept the class moving. I wasn't too impressed with the structure of the lesson - read the new words, read the text, repeat for two hours. However, I was only trying a lesson - if that's what the other students had requested, fair enough.

I got the impression that they would be very responsive to requests - ie, if you wanted to practice more listening, I think they'd be quite happy to give you more listening.

The charge just under 4000Y for a 72 hour course, with various schedules. They also hire out their teachers for one-on-ones: probably more expensive than finding your own, but I've only every heard good things about their teachers, so it might be worth it.

Roddy

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have contact info on a private school in Beijing named Diqiucun? It is supposedly close to tsinghua Daxue....

Or contact info on any private school that might offer short term classes following the up coming new year....

Thanks

Phil

If I remember correctly, Diquicun advertises on bus stops around Wudaokou, I'll try and have a look next time I'm up that way. There's another post on this forum on a school called Juncheng (I think) which has contact info inside, and there's also the Bridge School. Any more?

Roddy

I'm just taking chinese lessons at this school around Wudaokou...

To my demands, it's very satisfying, but I'm still quite a beginner and I can't say how good ot is for more advanced levels.

It's not expansive (12 Y per hour)

I really like it because the ambiance is very friendly.

I have a lesson tomorrrow, and for the new year I will bring chocolates from Belgium ( tantsannnn!!!).

Someone interested?

Hi Roddy, I have been recommended by Confucius to contact you. I am Spanish and I am learning Chinese Mandarin Pinyin. I have been learning it for a year and two months. My level is still rather low and I need some practice and progress. For this I have planned to travel to Beijing in May or JUne. Unfortunately I can only spend 21 days in Beijing. Regarding your comments about The Bridge School, I would like to contact it, maybe its lessons would be enough for me. Could you please inform me of The Bridge School's email.

Thank you very much. If I travel to Beijing I hope to meet you there.

Bye for now.

Enrique

Ok' date=' I'm now in a position to answer my own question. I went along to the Bridge School last night to try a lesson. They let you have one hour's free lesson, but I asked nicely and got two hours.

They have a very nice environment, basically small offices with whiteboards. They are small, but then so are the classes. I was trying the 'Advanced Class' - which actually means 'The Highest Class we've got' - the book they were using was intermediate, and I don't think you could describe the class as advanced - certainly not when you think of what you'd expect from an advanced user of English.

There were only two of us in the class, myself and someone from an embassy. There were 3 or 4 enrolled, but they didn't turn up. The teacher was good, lively, and kept the class moving. I wasn't too impressed with the structure of the lesson - read the new words, read the text, repeat for two hours. However, I was only trying a lesson - if that's what the other students had requested, fair enough.

I got the impression that they would be very responsive to requests - ie, if you wanted to practice more listening, I think they'd be quite happy to give you more listening.

The charge just under 4000Y for a 72 hour course, with various schedules. They also hire out their teachers for one-on-ones: probably more expensive than finding your own, but I've only every heard good things about their teachers, so it might be worth it.

Roddy[/quote']

Hi, and warm greetings from Spain. My name is Enrqiue and I am learning Pinyin. I have planned to travel to Beijing in May or June and I will stay 3 weeks there. I have checked your advert and Roddy's one as well. My purpose is just to improve my Mandarin and I need some private tutor or do an intensive language course. Can you give me any tips about your school? Maybe It could be interesting for me.

I wait for your reply.

Kind regards,

Enrique

I wish you a happy New Year.

I'm just taking chinese lessons at this school around Wudaokou...

To my demands' date=' it's very satisfying, but I'm still quite a beginner and I can't say how good ot is for more advanced levels.

It's not expansive (12 Y per hour)

I really like it because the ambiance is very friendly.

I have a lesson tomorrrow, and for the new year I will bring chocolates from Belgium ( tantsannnn!!!).

Someone interested?[/quote']

Hi Enrique!!!

Best wishes to you too!

I've just came back from my chinese lesson and here are some tips about the school: (I foretell you, the teaching provided may goes further than your demand, but I give the info to anyoe who would be interested -I hope that I'm not doing any advertisment, this are just complete infomation about a private school in Haidian district, not out the subject)

name:

地球村语言学院。(diqiucun language school)

address:

北京市,海淀区,成府路35号,华清嘉园对面 (顺德宾馆二层201室。)

Beijing shi, Haidian qu, Chengfu lu 35hao, Huaqing jiayuan duimian (Shunde

binguan er ceng 201 shi)

Beijing city, Haidian district, Chengfu road n.35, in front of Huaqing jia square (office at the 2nd floor, 201 room)

tel: 62561947,

Description:

Cheaper than the main universities and more flexible. You can choose a minimum of 2 hours a day, or a maximum of 6 or more when you decide it is best for you.

They have 3 levels (low, average, high), Prepaation classes for HSK (汉语水平考试,Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) and also week-end classes.

In the low and average level, you work on conversational chinese (speaking, reading/writing)

In the highest level, conversational chinese is also available, but also courses for those who want to become translator, and course based on more specifics domains such as cinema-TV (understanding chinese in movies or on TV), news paper (being able to read the papers), economics and others...

I don't know the fees for the high level, but for the 2 lowest, they are 15/12 MB/hour

'Hope it will help!

Bye,

芳芳。

Hi again and warm and sunny greetings from Spain.

Thank you for your prompt answer. What do you mean exactly by: "foretell you, the teaching provided may goes further than your demand". Secondly, do you know whether this School has an email address? I would like to contact them by email to get information about prices. I belong to the low level of Mandarin Pyinyin. Regarding the phone numbers that you gave me could you please give the city code? Have you given me both home tel. number and fax number? I know the international code for calling China. By the way, how much Yuan (RMB) is 1 Euro? Are there 6 hours or just 5 hours of difference between China and SPAIN? If in Spain it is 15.00 is it already 20.00 or 21,00 h in China?

Thank you very much for your time. I wish you a fine day and greet your teacher from me.

Bye for now.

Enrique

What do you like most of Spain? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THERE?

Hi Enrique!!!

Best wishes to you too!

I've just came back from my chinese lesson and here are some tips about the school: (I foretell you' date=' the teaching provided may goes further than your demand, but I give the info to anyoe who would be interested -I hope that I'm not doing any advertisment, this are just complete infomation about a private school in Haidian district, not out the subject)

name:

地球村语言学院。(diqiucun language school)

address:

北京市,海淀区,成府路35号,华清嘉园对面 (顺德宾馆二层201室。)

Beijing shi, Haidian qu, Chengfu lu 35hao, Huaqing jiayuan duimian (Shunde

binguan er ceng 201 shi)

Beijing city, Haidian district, Chengfu road n.35, in front of Huaqing jia square (office at the 2nd floor, 201 room)

tel: 62561947,

Description:

Cheaper than the main universities and more flexible. You can choose a minimum of 2 hours a day, or a maximum of 6 or more when you decide it is best for you.

They have 3 levels (low, average, high), Prepaation classes for HSK (汉语水平考试,Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) and also week-end classes.

In the low and average level, you work on conversational chinese (speaking, reading/writing)

In the highest level, conversational chinese is also available, but also courses for those who want to become translator, and course based on more specifics domains such as cinema-TV (understanding chinese in movies or on TV), news paper (being able to read the papers), economics and others...

I don't know the fees for the high level, but for the 2 lowest, they are 15/12 MB/hour

'Hope it will help!

Bye,

芳芳。[/quote']

Thank you for your prompt answer. What do you mean exactly by: "foretell you' date=' the teaching provided may goes further than your demand".[/quote']

>>It's mean that you won't learn only pinyin, but also how to read and to write. Anyway, learning chinese without learning chinese characteres sounds like an heresie, and it is really usefull and interesting. I said It may go over you objectives because I beleived that you wanted to continue to learn only chinese pinyin as you did it until now. Sorry if I misunderstood your words.

Secondly' date=' do you know whether this School has an email address?

[/quote']

>>no, they don't have any yet.

Regarding the phone numbers that you gave me could you please give the city code?

>>city code of Beijing is anything in 10000

The school is in the area of code:100080.

Have you given me both home tel. number and fax number? I know the international code for calling China.

>>I have to admit that I don't know if one of the number is a fax number.

I've been given the number: 62537736 for fax (try!).

International code for China: 8600

But the people at the office don't speak english, you'll have to speak chinese. (other thing: even the book we work with has english translation of the lesson, the teachers only use chinese in their lessons-english very barely-)

By the way, how much Yuan (RMB) is 1 Euro?

>> 1 yuan RMB=0.1 euro (左右) (1euro=9.4 RMB)

Are there 6 hours or just 5 hours of difference between China and SPAIN? If in Spain it is 15.00 is it already 20.00 or 21,00 h in China?

>>argnnnnn...I really don't know!!!

in winter, there are 7h of difference with France. Get by with that!

What do tou prefe in Spain?HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THERE?

Very few (2 times).

I loved the Alambhra (orthography to be corrcted, I reaally have no clue of the position of this f.... 'h' in the word!

• 2 months later...

Hola Enrique,

Estudié durante una año en Bridge School y la experiencia fue positiva. Si necesitas cualquier información sobre la escuela o la vida en Pekín, no dudes en pedirla.

Saludos

Pablo

Thank you for your prompt answer. What do you mean exactly by: "foretell you' date=' the teaching provided may goes further than your demand".[/quote']

>>It's mean that you won't learn only pinyin, but also how to read and to write. Anyway, learning chinese without learning chinese characteres sounds like an heresie, and it is really usefull and interesting. I said It may go over you objectives because I beleived that you wanted to continue to learn only chinese pinyin as you did it until now. Sorry if I misunderstood your words.

Secondly' date=' do you know whether this School has an email address?

[/quote']

>>no, they don't have any yet.

Regarding the phone numbers that you gave me could you please give the city code?

>>city code of Beijing is anything in 10000

The school is in the area of code:100080.

Have you given me both home tel. number and fax number? I know the international code for calling China.

>>I have to admit that I don't know if one of the number is a fax number.

I've been given the number: 62537736 for fax (try!).

International code for China: 8600

But the people at the office don't speak english, you'll have to speak chinese. (other thing: even the book we work with has english translation of the lesson, the teachers only use chinese in their lessons-english very barely-)

By the way, how much Yuan (RMB) is 1 Euro?

>> 1 yuan RMB=0.1 euro (左右) (1euro=9.4 RMB)

Are there 6 hours or just 5 hours of difference between China and SPAIN? If in Spain it is 15.00 is it already 20.00 or 21,00 h in China?

>>argnnnnn...I really don't know!!!

in winter, there are 7h of difference with France. Get by with that!

What do tou prefe in Spain?HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THERE?

Very few (2 times).

I loved the Alambhra (orthography to be corrcted, I reaally have no clue of the position of this f.... 'h' in the word!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

hi everybody,

I am studying in Beijing and and I need a course for next semester, it may be 2 hours every day, or 2 hours some days in a week, but I do not want to extend a course 4 hours everyday. I am also searching for but I would appreciate if any of you can help me.. thanks a lot..

vivacious

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,Roddy,I read your posts and my friend told me that school is not bad.

But why do you pick a private Chinese tutor,who is a standard Chinese Mandarin native speaker, my thinking is,if you want to practise oral Chinese and apply what you learn socially,private Chinese tutor is a good choice.

If you want to learn the complete course of grammer,a school course usually take you a long time....Actually,a careful and responsible private tutor will can also take up this big responsibility to make you learn good grammer.

Anyway,it is up to!

Good luck to your study in Beijing!

Priscilla:)