Chinese-Forums

Visa questions?????? "L" and "D"

nitropuppy

Yeah,

I came on an F visa to study Chinese in a College here in Shanghai, finished my semester and had my F visa renewed for another 6 months by a private company here. Now just hanging out doing some part time private English instruction.

Soon I'll go back to the states and will have to renew again. Not seeing any problems with this so far.

Thanks djwebb, but that won't work either. The web site also specifically states as part of the requirements that I provide......

2. Local Shanghai Registration Form Of Temporary Residence*

This won't work for me. I'll be in Chengdu. In addition, I e-mailed them and they said they don't offer the business in Sichuan province. They can only offer the service for Beijing, and Shanghai. Nice try. I appreciate the attempt. I'll keep searching.

Nitropuppy, read the page again at http://www.emoo.net/modules/icontent/index.php?page=5

They need the form of local residence for the one-month visa only. The one-year visa is different. I am living in Kunming, and they have promised to get me a one-year visa, although I am not living in Shanghai. I had to send my passport to them by EMS. All they needed was the passport and photos, and then when the visa is done they will ask me to transfer the fee from my Bank of China account to theirs. Why not phone them? Speak to Shirley, her English is excellent. 021-6249 2301, extension 608.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want people to know that Emoo does work as a visa agency. I received my passport back from them today, but the whole exercise took 19 days. I have a one year 5 visa. It is interesting that it was issued in Qingdao, not in Shanghai, even though Emoo is in Shanghai. Maybe this is why the process does take a while. Now: I entered China from HK on Sept 22 with a one-month tourist visa. I had hoped that Emoo would get me a one-year visa from Oct 22 to oct 22 next year, but looking at the visa, it runs only until Sept 22 next year. I think this is because there is a rule that you have to leave China once a year. So my one-month tourist visa from Hong Kong was just wasted in fact...

E1 Services: 1 Year Multi-Entries F visa

1. Passport with valid visa

2. 2 Passport Photographs (2 inches size)

Standard Services: 12-14 Working Days

Because this kind of visa will be arranged in our BeiJing branch, 1 year is calculated from your last entry date, for example, if your visa is valid until 1st of Oct. 2006, but your last entry date into China is 1st of July 2006. Then the 1 year visa will be only valid until 1st of July 2007, please notice that. Anyway if you do need E1 service, Please submit your paperwork at least 10 days in advance before your visa expired so that we will have enough time to process it.

From here:

http://www.visainchina.com/visa3.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Man! I am so glad I don't have to deal with visa hassles any more...

It's been suggested by earlier posters, but I strongly recommend it too... What I did for a year was to actually study Chinese in a university. it's just 3 hours a day, and it's completely worth it. for 4000 RMB per semester, at South West Nationalities University (some times called South West Minorities University), you can study. With that, you get a one year student visa, and residence permit. The second semester, I dicided not to study, but I got to keep my permit for another 6 months...

You said that you are working on a visa for your wife, if you have temporary residence (which you get with a student visa), you can file directly at the consulate in Chengdu. This process is called DCF (direct consular file). When you DCF, it only takes about 6 to 9 months (it took us 8.5 months). The reason it's so quick is because the forms never go stateside (sorry if this info has been posted in other places, I am new to this forum).

Sorry, i don't know the name in Chinese... It's in Chengdu. It's called South West University for Nationalities. It's also known as the Minorities University. I said 4K, but it would have been 4K and change (IE, less than 5K), and that included the 1 year visa...

I'm not sure if you have to leave the country or not after the visa expires. I left anyway to come back to the US with my wife.

I dont know how you were able to get another visa after your Study F vis aexpired without leaving the country.Study visas are the only ones where you have to leave the country to come back to get a new one . I have found this out to my expense.

It was simple. I went to a company in Shanghai BEFORE my visa expired, gave them money and then they processed the Visa. Eazy Peezy.

The F visa is also a Business Visa so it was easily extended.

Interesting. When I got my first sketch 6 month F visa a couple of years ago from a mysterious travel agency in Beijing, it came back as a Qingdao issued visa too. :lol: Wonder why all these visa agencies get the visas in Qingdao? Must be some lax officials or ones w/ special guanxi, etc. there. Wonder if it's possible to cut out the middle men and just go directly to a company in Qingdao to get easy F visas?

• 1 month later...

At least the U.S. State Department has finally recognized that its agreement with China to issue one-year multiple-entry visas on a reciprocal basis is something of a dead letter.

The latest Consular Information Sheet for China notes:

"Although a bilateral United States-China agreement provides for issuance of multiple entry visas with validity of up to one year for tourists and business visitors, Chinese consulates often limit visas to only one-entry."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

• 1 month later...

How much does it cost to change a 30-day L-visa into a 1 year L-visa (I'm married to a Chinese citizen) in China? And how easy is it?

The agency I use to get my single-entry 30 day visas charge £45 (includes Chinese consulate fees) for a single-entry tourist visa, or £60 for a double-entry tourist visa, but they can't help with multiple-entry tourist visas. Does anyone know a UK agency that can process a 1 year multiple-entry tourist visa for someone married to a Chinese citizen?

If I want to get a full Chinese driving license (instead of the temporary ones they announced this year), then I'll probably need a 1-year L-visa anyway.

Just trying to work out the best options ...

Thanks

How much does it cost to change a 30-day L-visa into a 1 year L-visa (I'm married to a Chinese citizen) in China? And how easy is it?

The cost depends on the number of re-entries and varies from something like 180 yuan for none to 500 for multiple. How easy it is depends a lot on where you are applying -- please let us know your experiences!

The agency I use to get my single-entry 30 day visas charge £45 (includes Chinese consulate fees) for a single-entry tourist visa, or £60 for a double-entry tourist visa, but they can't help with multiple-entry tourist visas. Does anyone know a UK agency that can process a 1 year multiple-entry tourist visa for someone married to a Chinese citizen?

All the agency does is take your documents to the embassy and post them back to you. If you can find out from the embassy exactly what documents you need and how much it would cost, I think some agencies would be willing to help.

If I want to get a full Chinese driving license (instead of the temporary ones they announced this year), then I'll probably need a 1-year L-visa anyway

Unfortunately a one-year L visa doesn't give you the residence permit which is required to apply for a driving licence.

Unfortunately a one-year L visa doesn't give you the residence permit which is required to apply for a driving licence.

Doh!

Does the F-visa that you can buy from emoo in Shanghai for 4200RMB give you the required residence permit?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bring back a pretty old topic... I didn't want to start a new thread.

People are talking about this "new" L visa for one year... So with this one, do you have to leave the country every 30 (or 90) days?

Does the Emoo company's one year F Visa make you leave at all during this time?

I'm wondering, because I'm married to a Chinese, but I live all the way in Xinjiang. The closest border is about 35 hours by train, so leaving every three months is going to be a major pain in the butt... What's the best way to get a visa?

Thanks in advance!

(Oh, I'm American, if it makes any difference)

I can only comment about F visas...

With the 1-year, mutliple entry F visa that I got in Canada, there was a 60 day limitation per stay. During one of my trips when it became apparent that I would need to stay longer than 60 days, I applied for a new 6 month, multiple entry F visa from the security bureau in Beijing. This new visa did not have a limitation on each stay (I understand that the same would be true for one-year multiple entry F visas issued in China). Basically what happened was that I had my original visa cancelled and got a new one.

If you are applying for an F visa for business purposes, it is easy to do yourself provided that you have the proper documentation and allow yourself enough time before you overstay your current visa.

You should also have a look at the following:

http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/Tour/Tips/t200980.htm