Chinese-Forums

puzzled by the verb

semantic nuance

Hi,

I got an English question to ask. In a test, it asked examinees to choose which is wrong in the following sentence. The answer is (A) but I'm wondering why. It seems ok to me. I'd like to know the reason if it is really incorrect. Thanks in advance.

The mailroom together with the copy center (A) is being renovated, so that production (B)is increased, lighting © is made better, and general working conditions (D) are improved.

The mailroom together with the copy center (A) is being renovated, so that production (B)is increased, lighting © is made better, and general working conditions (D) are improved.

two things, so it should be are, not is? Questions like this are pointless and even the 'correct' sentence is ugly - I was going to say that a native speaker would never produce something like that, but unfortunately we probably would - that doesn't make it pretty though.

Most grammar books only cover subject-verb agreement for simple cases.

Rule: Expressions such as 'with', 'together with', 'including', 'accompanied by', 'in addition to' and 'as well as' do not affect subject-verb agreement.

Example:

The old man together with his grandchildren are in the barn. (Wrong)

The old man together with his grandchildren is in the barn. (Right)

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:XH4IBxCJqMgJ:www.grammarstation.com/servlet/GGuide%3Ftype%3DSVI%22&hl=en&lr=&strip=0

Phrases like as well as, together with, and along with DO NOT form compound subjects and DO NOT take plural verbs.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/camc/essay_~1.htm

I suspect that opinions vary. Unless this test prescribes a specific grammar text that advises differently than above, I think this question is inappropriate.

Thanks!

roddy, unfortunately, it's from TOEIC Test Book edited by native speakers.

I still feel puzzled. If it is incorrect, might it be the answer should be "The mailroom together with copy center is renovated,....." instead of 'The mailroom together with copy center is being renovated,...."?

Thanks!:)

I looked at it again and I think the error might be that there should be no comma before "so that"

When you use "so that" to join groups of words in a sentence, do not use a comma: I like to eat breakfast early so that I will have plenty of energy at work.

http://198.85.71.81/english/commaguidelines.html

Oops! My mistake. There's not a comma in front of 'so that'. So the sentence is:

The mailroom together with the copy center (A) is being renovated so that production (B)is increased, lighting © is made better, and general working conditions (D) are improved.

Any idea?

Someone answered this question before:

http://experts.about.com/q/General-Writing-Grammar-680/staff.htm

It says that "is being" should be "has been." So I guess the answer is the verb tense of A doesn't make sense with B, C, and D, even though A is not wrong by itself. This is a hard test question.

Edit: On the other hand, I don't know if I agree with or understand that answer.

Yes, that must be it. The first verb phrase is in progressive aspect, while the others are perfect. Presumably that's what the test makers were trying to get at: how well you understand the English aspectual system.

Still a very nitpicky question, if you ask me. And the red herring of the seemingly plural subject makes it almost ridiculously hard.

As for why the subject is singular, I don't really know, but I'd hazard a guess that goes along these lines.

1. a) v The mailroom together with the copy center is being renovated.

B) v The mailroom is being renovated together with the copy center.

The fact that you can move the second part of the apparent subject suggests that it isn't really part of the subject because normally you can't do that. Compare:

2. a) v The mailroom and the copy center are being renovated.

B) * The mailroom is/are being renovated and the copy center.

In older versions of generative syntax that would be a transformation which moves the phrase around, and presumably its original spot (before the transformation) would be as in (1b). Which would mean that "together with x" is a phrase which modifies the verb, not the noun. And, sure enough, "together" in this sense is an adverb. :D

But that's just a guess. It's probably more complicated than that.

:-?