Chinese-Forums

Photography buddy wanted - Beijing (Wudaokou)

bianfuxia

Hello,

I had a great photo buddy who now has no time due to study.

So here I am seeking a new one.

What I'm after is someone who is interested in regular (at least once a week) photography excursions, sometimes round here (Wudaokou, Haidian etc), sometimes exploring a different part of the city (like the Olympic area, or the south, or those central hutongs), and maybe occasionally a weekend day-trip further afield.

I'd also like to have an exhibition-visiting-partner, which is self explanatory.

About me: I like all kinds of photography but mostly take pictures of people involved in their normal lives. I use film, mostly black and white. But any kind of interest and any kind of medium, film, digital, b/w, colour, whatever is quite fine with me.

The point is to get out there and take photos (and see shows).

About you: Ideally you'll not be a complete beginner. But as long as you're keen and committed to a regular outing, at least once a week (like, one afternoon each week, or one morning each week) and the odd weekend here or there.

If we get along, I also think it would be good to be able to discuss and critique each other's work, for improvement. I can imagine this happening over coffee at a nice cafe in these cold Beijing winter afternoons or evenings.

Finally, though I don't think it's necessary to say it on this forum (it's more of a thatsbj.com kind of caveat!), I'm not after a girlfriend! :)

If you've made it this far, and you're interested, drop me a PM and we can take it from there.

• 1 month later...

I saw your post right now.I don not know whether you have the Photography buddy you wanted.I like Photography very much and make many friends who share the same interest.I live in QingHe Haidian,near Wudaokou,so I would like to make friends with you and have the photography excursions. You can contact with me at dongning168@hotmail.com.

• 2 months later...

hi there, are you guys still trying to get some sort of photography club going?

we tried this a few months back on that's beijing's website but for some reason they never let us advertise the group and we've never had more than one excursion out to tian tan.

please let me know if there's something else going on with you guys.

thanks.

Yeah, nothing really ended up happening. Indeed it's only by chance that I saw this. Someone pm'd me but we didn't meet up, and I didn't see the first response - apologies!

So, pretty hopeless really! :)

Still, it's warming up a bit and maybe time to try again. I'm going away for a week from tomorrow but perhaps early in March (also have to move house) we could try something.

I'm interested in forming a photography club and it seems there are a few people here who have the same goal.

About me: I've been taking digital photos for two years so I know all the basics. I'm interested in getting more experience and feedback to improve my technique. I live in Wudaokou and my flat is big enough to hold meetings in if we want to get together after our photoshoots and discuss each other's work. I also have a Mac to look at photos on, although the monitor is not too big.

My profile settings for this forum should allow you to send e-mails to me, so if you're interested, please contact me and we can work something out.

Moved this to Living in China as it's more discussion than ad now.

I might be interested in turning up to something - My D50 is really just gathering dust at the moment, but in principle at least I'm keen to pick it up again.

Will pm a couple of other members I can think of who are interested in photography.

Li Bai,

I got your message. Not sure why but I'm unable to reply.

I am interested. I've been casually taking photos for the past few years and only recently started to really pay attention to my photos. I always knew they were bad and wanted to do something about it. :) Going out on real photography journeys would be fun. These days, I started carrying my camera around everywhere.

I'd say my photography now is becoming decent. My knowledge of it is also ok. I also have a Mac and am familiar with photo editing and management (Photoshop and Aperture and at least know a bit the others).

I only have a compact but I think that's good enough for now. I'll probably get a D40 in the next year or so. I'm tempted to get it now.

Just started school at Beida so I'm not yet sure about my schedule. Also still looking for a place and that might make the next few weeks fairly busy. Overall, I certainly want to make some time for this.

I got your message. Not sure why but I'm unable to reply.

My fault - had somehow uploaded an out of date file which resulted in the reply button disappearing from the private message screen. Fixed now (after my spending 20 minutes trying to figure out exactly which stupid thing I'd done).

Howdy, y'all. Another friend and I were thinking something like this Sunday afternoon we'll go to the Hutongs around town and have a photo excursion. If you're interested then drop me a line: weimeng [at] yahoo [dot] com

Maybe afterwards we can all go somewhere and checkout our photos and have a chat.

Hope to hear from soon.

update. alright, we've pretty much come to a consensus that Sunday afternoon @ 1pm we meet up, probably go for some lunch and then head out to the Hutongs nearby and have an excursion of it.

we'll meet @ the QianMen plaza, where you exit the subway from around 1pm and then get some lunch nearby and headout to the hutong ares south of there. if you read this and couldn't get in touch before Sunday @ 1pm, then just meet us there. give me a holla: 132-4121-4428

hey gang,

I'd love to come but I'm moving house at the moment.

But I'd like to be involved. Not only in taking pics with people but also going to shows/exhibitions and meeting up to see each others' work.

have fun tomorrow.

R

Did you guys ever thought of joining Chinese photographers ?

I joined the Shanghai part of Poco http://photo.poco.cn/ and they have some activities about once a week during the week-ends. Here it's mostly around taking outdoor pictures of want-to-be models, but the location is different each time so it's also a way to know the city better.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wudaokou photography club is making a photography trip to the village of Jiangjunguan, which is on the Great Wall about 100 km east northeast of Beijing this Sunday (8 April). We're setting out from Wudaokou (near Wudaokou station on the number 13 subway line) at 10.00am and will be returning after sunset, to arrive back at about 8.00pm. At the moment there are five of us. I've booked a van, and it's quite big, so there's plenty of room if anybody wants to join. If you'd like to come, please call Steven on 13120174975