Chinese-Forums

Chinese Podcasts (w/ transcripts?)

xentropic

Wondering if anyone knows where i can find chinese podcasts with transcripts...or for that matter good chinese podcasts (when i say chinese podcasts i mean IN chinese, not the 500 learning chinese podcasts that teach you how to say hello in chinese and spend 30 minutes talking in english about it). also if there are websites with transcripts to accompany some kind of audio that would be fine too. i just noticed that i have no problem finding this in german, french, and japanese, but nothing of the sort in chinese.

also i was looking for a good chinese podcast that is just like a group of 3 or so guys and girls in normal everyday conversation, again i have no problem finding this in other languages but for some reason cant seem to in chinese. topic preferably something easly like what everyone did last weekend, just a couple of friends talking peferably.

im sure there are these things out there somewhere so if your the person in the know about it, please let me know. thanks. :lol:

• Like 1

Hey Malcolm,

My first response to this question would be chinesepod.com, but you said specifically "no talking about ni hao for 20 mins", so you might have already seen them. The other one is activechinese.com, my company (yay!). We do video podcasts that might sound like what you're looking for... no talking about the dialogues in English. Plus all sorts of goodies... transcripts, recording, activities, self-tests, pdf files, sound files... Right now you can only download lesson 1 free, but you can sign up for a free trial and you have access to all the other lessons. We're working on making some parts of the other lessons available too, so let us know what you think.

Hey, I'm not sure when the last time you checked out the site you mentioned, but their intermediate and above levels do just exactly what you are looking for. I'm not a member (yet) but I plan to sign up once I finish my university studies in Mandarin.

The ones I'm talking about have very few english words throughout the half hour broadcast. John from Sinosplice has improved their content significantly.

Regards,

聂耳

Try going to chineseblast.com and look for "Princess Remy's podcasts". There are 2 podcasts that's been transcribed with Pinyin and characters. Furthermore, there are videos clips and flash stories that's been transcribed. You can add your own contributions too if you wish. Best of all, it's free. Good luck.

For Chinese language stuff, I've never seen anything which supplies transcripts. There are a few podcast / videocast sites which might be worth looking at - try Podlook.com and Lifepop.com, and a search on 播客 turns up more. Youtube type site Tudou.com might be worth a look for video, but a lot of it is - like Youtube - just posted clips rather than actual user-generated stuff.

The problem is finding something that is a) good, and B) doesn't peter out after 4 episodes. A few weeks ago I would have heartily recommended Antiwave.net, but they've been down due to technical problems. I sincerely hope they get up and running again as they did some really quality stuff. However, it seems you can still access their content via their Podlook channel, and there's probably enough to keep you going there for some time. No transcripts, but I'd recommend you start with Office Stories - that's the first one, there's a series of 5 where a young accountant is interviewed about her time working for a major accountancy firm (I think that's what they're all about, haven't listened to them all) and also the 超短脱口秀 - these are three or four people discussing recent media stories / current events. Their most recent one is here. The other stuff can be variable, but is generally worth at least a listen to check it out and at the very least they win points for putting out a decent volume of stuff with largely interesting content and high production values. Hope to see them putting out new stuff soon.

Princess Remy mentioned above is frequent, reliable and short - the accent won't be to everyone's taste and sometimes she's just wasting air-time, but hey, air-time is cheap.

If you come across anything with transcripts, let us know.

• Like 1

CHinese blast is great!! Thanks for that! Princess Remy's podcasts are pretty good, but they're not situational, it's just a girl kindof talking about her life in Europe in Chinese. I loved the Chinese cartoons! You didn't think Chinese pod talked a lot? Maybe I need to check it again, it was a couple weeks ago. I thought the intermediate classes were mostly Jenny and some guy having a conversation about what they had for breakfast, but I did learn some good basic stuff from the elementary level classes. Has anybody looked at activechinese.com yet? We're new and really need feedback so we can fix stuff.

I think I found out about this on this forum previously, but Rutgers University's Chinese department has a good many mp3's with transcripts on their website: chinese.rutgers.edu

I'm pretty sure it's all free and parallels whatever textbook they use in their courses.

I'm not a fan of chinesepod myself.
Yes, but melnyks speaks a lot in english too, like chinesepod.

I don't know why a lot of people seem to dismiss chinesepod. maybe a lot of you only listened to it in its beginning stages. they now have plenty of 'advanced' lessons with NO ENGLISH at all. and transcripts are available if you pay but i don't really think they are necessary. so i'd think its worth checking out again if thats what you're after.

I love chinesepod. I think its content is superb and even though I don't typically learn anything from it, I do listen in once in a while just for fun. Click the link on the upper right hand side for the advanced lessons where everything is in Chinese. Else, you can type in zh.chinesepod.com.

• 3 months later...

Search: Mandarin Podcasts with transcripts - where?

To go on with Steve's suggestion I look for some MP3 audios WITH Chinese transcript (I don't need English). The Audio should be Mandarin only. I aim at ANY material, not just material that is aimed at learners.

As said before, I like the Antiwave.net stuff, but they don't have transcripts.

...let the links roll in....

Here you go for a start:

http://clavisinica.com/CVP/voices.html

Another I know of is: http://learningmandarinpod.blogspot.com/

but you'll have to pay for the scripts.

I agree that podcasts with transcripts would help a lot but bear in mind that in common with things & mothers that are too helpful, they normally don't work you hard enough! :D

Maybe you can try chinesepod.com

i got most of my material frmo there, you can subscribe to podcasts and also a 7 day trial period i guess. dont know for sure, since it's been a long time since i been on that website. but you can also download some pdf's there with the text in it from the podcasts. but maybe there's also the text in the podcast lyrics.

Maybe you can try chinesepod.com

chinesepod.com has English in it, that's what I NOT want. I know already English and have no plan to improve it.

I just listened to one, that's EXACTLY what I want! Thanks!

They are daily life issues, quite short, and with a clear Chinese text. Really good!