Chinese-Forums

Western Food

heifeng

So here's the deal. Occasionally people want me to introduce some western food to them and sometimes I wouldn't even mind attempting to cook a meal here and there. However, for some reason (i.e. lack of domestication and not being a huge fan of western food myself) I cannot think of very much that I could cook out here that would be easy to buy all the ingredients for and that I wouldn't massively screw up...so I turn to viewers here!

I brainstormed and the only thing I think of is spaghetti and boiled food and noodles, dumplings, perogi type foods, maybe chicken cooked with yogurt, or using beer batter to fry fish....but what other western foods are easy to cook out here in general? I'm completely drawing a blank...

How about insalata caprese? I think it is one of the easiest and nicest dishes (and one of the few that I can make)? :) All you have to do is buy some mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and olive oil (do away with basil if you don't have it).

For entrees, I can't think of a easier thing to cook than steak or lamb chops.

Always appreciated, although it would involve getting quality cuts of meat, and you'd need access to a broiler or oven.

For side dishes,you can always roast potatoes or make mashed potatoes.

How about green beans tossed in browned butter?

For dessert, creme brulee? Short cooking times, very little prep.

Lots of butter and cream, that's what people want. :)

becoming somewhat domesticated, i've bought an oven and a bbq.

bbq goes over well, they like the tater salad, but don't quite know what to do with

cole slaw. baked taters with butter and cheese. (buy some skewers for the tofu and

chicken feets!!)

chocolate banana bread, cakes, and any type of real bread is appreciated.

any type of pizza, except for corn or fruit salad.

baked chicken with veggies is good, or any casserole type dish.

without the oven/broiler/bbq, you can try:

spaghetti of course, especially if you can find italian sausage.

tacos, fajitas....well, any mexican food.

pancakes with maple syrup.

and you can always make banana fritters in the wok. perhaps chicken-fried steak.

there must be a thousand types of omelette to try.

Here's what I've been making without an oven, no blenders, no barbeques, no electric mixers, on a student budget.

- Ragu/ bolognese sauce - in an big Chinese earthenware pot I bought on the street for 12 yuan. Bay leaves and cinnamon bark are Chinese ingredients and readily available. The -18 yuan bottle of great wall red I throw in it works fine. Magic when you leave it to cook for 3 hours on low heat.

- Creamy garlic, white wine and mushroom sauce (over pasta). Getting a < 25 yuan Chinese wine that doesn't taste like vinegar can be challenging but a fun adventure. The sauce freezes fine.

- Frittatas - spinach, antipasto, onion and potato, pumpkin etc. The only foreign ingredient in my Frittata is thyme - which I found at walmart for 22 yuan per jar. I expect it will last -me for at least a year.

- French onion soup. A packet of emmenthal cheese was found at Walmart. Soo easy, sooo good.

- Crepes.

- Slovakian savoury pancakes w- cheese, onion, grated zucchini, and grated lemon rind.

- Pumpkin and potato soup.

- Chocolate and orange mousse. Just toblerone, cream and orange rind. Melt in saucepan, whisk, then refridgerate in little glasses or whatever. Rich and creamy.

For a more extravagant budget:

- Salmon steaks on roesti.

Roesti: just potato and onion- easy.

Salmon - I found sashimi salmon at Carrefour, fired up the wok, threw in olive oil, and when the wok was steaming hot, I threw in the salmon. 1 minute each side. SSOOOO damned fine. Crispy on the outside, raw and juicy on the inside.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure to think of more.

y

OK, I'm definitely feeling inspired now! I'm going to have to go grocery shopping soon...(Did I mention I'm not a big meat eater, I'm kind of an all veggie, sugar & carbs, and red pepper eating person so anything of this nature is especially appreciated...)

- Chocolate and orange mousse. Just toblerone, cream and orange rind. Melt in saucepan, whisk, then refridgerate in little glasses or whatever. Rich and creamy.

Ok, I'm going to be dreaming about this until I actually make it!!

I was also thinking that stuffed cabbage would be easy too b/c it's steamed, right? I think I actually ate something very similar to it at a Chinese restaurant once....

• 1 month later...