Chinese-Forums

BLCU spring-term 2007, anyone?

floressas

hmm... so i have another problem....

i'm doing a homestudy through lotusstudy, and normally the family would pick me up from the airport, but because i want to come about a week early (to get there for at least part of the Chinese New Year) the lotusstudy office in beijing will be closed, and they're not sure if they can find a family that is able to take me for that week. they want me to come just one or 2 days before classes start.

but i want to come earlier. i was thinking about just staying in a hostel for a few days. i had a friend stay in the lotus hostel. has anyone heard of this? http://www.lotushostel.cn is this close at all to blcu? school won't have started yet, but i want to be close so i can wander my way around the area. are there any other hostels near the campus? i know the Xi Jiao is mentioned a bit in other threads, but didn't know if this fills up around that time, when all the other BLCU'ers are trying to get acquainted.

hmmmm i'm probably being too cautious, but just don't want to be stuck on my first night in china with no where to sleep!

Hey everyone, I'm attending the March -> July semester. This is my first time in china and the only phrase I remember is "You are not my wife." (Useful if there is any confusion). I'm 24 and doing this to get my language requirements out of the way for college.

I may or may not stay in a dorm, i'm not sure (my friend yuko told me #17 was the best). Hope to meet up with a few of you there, it should be a good time. From what I understand, it's a LOT of fun.

On a side note: I'm an American guy, I'm coming in pretty early, maybe.. 10th? I want to experience Lunar New Year. Anyway, hit me up if you want to meet.

See you all there,

sgx

Hi. Thanks Toygirl for telling me about this thread. I will be part of Lotusstudy.com's program which runs between March 1 - 28, 2007 and will take part in their free Homestay program (I'll have to teach English to my "family" for 1 hour a day). I took a tour of China during 9/2001 which lasted 24 days. I'm studying Pimsleur's basic Mandarin in preparation.

Where I'm different from you all (at least it sounds that way) is that I'm 63 yrs old and retired, but very young at heart, and look a little younger than my age, :-). I'm very excited about going, and am starting preparations as we speak. Hope to see many of you somewhere around the campus, and/or the bars; there are bars right?

I'm researching everything I can find about what to bring with me, when to arrive, depart, etc. Can anyone point me to Internet sites which can give me advice?

Hey everyone' date=' I'm attending the March -> July semester. This is my first time in china and the only phrase I remember is "You are not my wife." (Useful if there is any confusion). I'm 24 and doing this to get my language requirements out of the way for college.

I may or may not stay in a dorm, i'm not sure (my friend yuko told me #17 was the best). Hope to meet up with a few of you there, it should be a good time. From what I understand, it's a LOT of fun.

On a side note: I'm an American guy, I'm coming in pretty early, maybe.. 10th? I want to experience Lunar New Year. Anyway, hit me up if you want to meet.

See you all there,

sgx[/quote']

hey man,

i think i will be doing the same course as you will be doing :D mine just starts at march 2nd and will last for one term. after that i will be doing the BA degree study for chinese langauge and culture.

my planning will be to arrive in BJ at febr. 3rd. so i can arrange some stuff and getting the feel of living in BJ already. for the lunar festival i will be going to my gf's parents near Shanghai. so will be lots of fun :D

maybe we can meet up somewhere in febr. and arrange a gettogether? i would like to get to know more and more people who are going to BLCU in march too.

oh, and by the way, i'm dutch, so my english will not be as good as like all of you here ;)

Hi people,

I'm also planning to join BLCU next year March.But I'm thinking of arriving arond Feb.20th(if I don't change my mind) to adjust to life away from almost everything and everyone I know.I'll be totally alone.Anyway,I hope to meet some(or all) you people who'll be there.You can write or MSN me.

ill be studying in blcu for once semester from march. im a 22 year old student from england, on my year abroad from uni. ive been to blcu before, but that was with educasian so im quite nervous about trying to work out accomodation, registration and all that stuff. any tips would be welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

well, i guess many people from here will be going to this so-called "Lineup of Doom" to register. maybe we can arrange a little gettogether for all people here?

i sure would like to meet some people from here since i'm going to this one semester course at first and after i want to enroll for the bachelor course of 4 years. so it would be swell if i can hang out with other westerners there.

i'm going on jan 23rd to get aquainted to the area, and am thinking about staying in one of the hotels i read about in the other threads, either the xi jiao or the mengxi, is anybody else gonna be at either of these hotels before school starts?

also, does anyone know if these areas are ok to be walking around at night? or are they a little shady?

Hi everybody,

i will go to BLCU for the spring term also. (1.march - 6 July) I hope we will have a great time.

I look around in this forum threats. and i am a bit confused, because sometimes i think choosing BLCU was right. Sometimes i am doubt about it.There are a lot of views about BLCU... i dont know i am bit confused...

I`m planing the flight for 25.Feb.

Does anybody know how long it takes to apply a visa ?, because i havent got the confirmation from the university (i will get it in few days). After that i can apply a study-visa.. i hope i can get it faster than the tourist visa....

@Soulcreeper:

you are from Netherlands, a friend of mine will fly to beijing next week. He pays 280€ for a two way flight. He also live in Cologne, then he goes to Frankfurt airport by train, fly to Amsterdam, and then to Beijing, all for 280€. A normal flight Frankfurt - Beijing is about 550 - 650 €. What a difference. Do you know something about it? What is the price for you Amsterdamm - Beijing?

you are from Netherlands, a friend of mine will fly to beijing next week. He pays 280€ for a two way flight. He also live in Cologne, then he goes to Frankfurt airport by train, fly to Amsterdam, and then to Beijing, all for 280€. A normal flight Frankfurt - Beijing is about 550 - 650 €. What a difference. Do you know something about it? What is the price for you Amsterdamm - Beijing?

wow, that's really cheap. i'm flying from Frankfurt to beijing in a direct flight. not over amsterdam first. can u tell me what airline he's flying with? i'm flying with Air China. and i payed about 400 euros for a one way flight.

i'm leaving holland on febr. 2nd. maybe we can meet someday, who knows.

Hello Everyone!

Well, I am also studying a semester (Feb-Jul). Short summary about me: Chinese Parents, I speak cantonese, was raised in Ecuador and therefore spanish too.

Look foward to seeing you guys soon too ^_^

(Jeanca21: Bueno tendré a alguien con quien hablar español :D)

Hi, my name's Dave Cheung and I'm lining up for the Spring Semester 2007 BLCU course too. I'm from England and doing the whole travelling thing at the moment (career break etc). Look forward to meeting some of you guys and gals!