Chinese-Forums

BLCU spring-term 2007, anyone?

floressas

Anybody already here besides me? I arrived @ 4 pm in Beijing. Im at the Xijiao hotel right now because communications with building 12 attendant and I broke down... I dont know enough chinese to communicate :-( to get my room I already put a downpayment on

Hey guys,

I'm starting on the 5th of March for a one year course, arriving on the 27th. I'm a bit freaked out at the moment (mostly because I haven't booked anywhere to live and I'm really worried that the dorms will be booked out by the time I get there - does this happen any one in the know?). So I'd love to meet up with some people.

How about the 30th of February (random date and therefore changeable), for lunch, somewhere in Wu Dao Kou (i.e. somewhere with food). www.atthewu.com has listings of places to eat in Wu Dao Kou for anyone who has any ideas.

Olivia

Hi everyone,

I will be studying in BLCU in the sprint-term 2007, hopefully we can meet up before semester starts, i reach Beijing already four days back and i'm staying at BFSAC "Beijing foreign students activity center" which is ok :)

@Phantim3dx,

u can PM me to find a way to meet ..

c u all soon

Using my boyfriends log on.

My name is Fiona. I am in Sydney, Australia. I arrive in Beijing tommorrow!!!!!!! :) Wednesday 21st February. I would love to make some new friends. I won't actually start studying at BLCU till Sept. I am going to teach English at a school in Haidian March- June. I will be living in Haidian too. Then I am going travelling around China during July + August.

There are quite a few things I want to do with in Beijing so it would be great to have someone to do them with. Also it would be great to meet pple from all over world.

email me: feebie500@yahoo.com

look forward to hearing from you :)

Fiona

ill be in xijiao hotel from friday until i sort out accomodation (i booked it for longer than i think ill need to make life easier) if anyone wants to have a meal, a drink, or something along those lines (i hear it has bowling!?) it'd be great. dont know anyone in china and its getting a little overwhelming!!

hey liv boyd!

i'm arriving in beijing on the same day as you - 27th, at 3.30 pm. i'm in exactly the same situation...haven't booked anything yet (mainly because the accommodation office is closed for chinese new year!) but i rang up the admin place and they said the dorms are never full, so we can just turn up and be given one. i need a dorm immediately though, cause i have no alternative accommodation arrangements (unless i just book a hotel).

very much up for a meet up, don't care when - no plans before the course starts!

see you all there!

Hey Greggs!

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only hopelessly unorganised person - and great news about the dorms, it's such a weight off my mind! If people are up for meeting lets say 1 o'clock for lunch on the 30th of February. People who are already there, you can choose a cool place in Wu Dao Kou.

Ok, panic subsiding, excitement rising. Things are starting to look up :)

Liv

hey jessi taylor and anyone else out there!!! I arrived here on Monday and my friend who is staying with me for a few days arrived on Tuesday. The Swedish dude and I are @ the XIJIAO HOTEL until the 24th. If anyone wants to know we are on building 4 on the 3rd floor Room. Xijiao is great. the rooms are great thats all I have to say. The rec center has a bowling alley jessi. 15 kuai per game or 150 kuai for 1 hr.

The WU seems like the happening place for all the students within the area. We went out with people we met last night @ the Lush, a lounge/bar. The spot that's happening later on the ngiht for dancing and clubbing is Propoganda.

I tried earlier to get enrolled and settled in but it seems like nothing is open at least until the 24th but dont take my word fully for it. When I went tot he admissions cente it was closed and also the housing building. I did go to building 12 where they have my paperwork for my room but I won't get in until the 28th so for 4 days im wondering where to stay, the xijiao is great but i assume like some of you guys im also on a budget.

my phone number here in china is 15801402101. this number isnt working yet until i get my cell phone, mine isnt compatible here.

to you guys who are studying here but havent arrived PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU.....When you arrive and about to take a taxi someone will probably approach you to take you to your destination, mroe than likely ti will be a black vehicle that is an unregistered taxi... do not take it!!!! the reason being is they wil say they are cheaper and make u believe its cheaper IT IS NOT!!! i got ripped like no other. Take the taxi that you see as soon as you get out of the airport its only 100 RMB, the unregistered one I dont even want to begin how much mroe I had to pay but I felt like I was back home in NY riding in a taxi.....Im still pissed about this.

Any other questions just post it here, if I cant answer it from my limited knowledge im sure someone can! As usual stay frosty and safe trip here!!!

to you guys who are studying here but havent arrived PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU.....When you arrive and about to take a taxi someone will probably approach you to take you to your destination, mroe than likely ti will be a black vehicle that is an unregistered taxi... do not take it!!!! the reason being is they wil say they are cheaper and make u believe its cheaper IT IS NOT!!! i got ripped like no other. Take the taxi that you see as soon as you get out of the airport its only 100 RMB, the unregistered one I dont even want to begin how much mroe I had to pay but I felt like I was back home in NY riding in a taxi.....Im still pissed about this.

Scam directory. That should cover most of what you are likely to encounter. There's a huge amount of info on this site (and others) already, and careful searching pays off:wink:

Cool to see another batch of students arriving - hope it all goes smoothly.

Roddy

Oh no! The 30th of February!

I've just destroyed any pretentions at intellegence that I might have had - how embarassing!!!! :oops:

Ok, if anyone feels like going to a lunch organised by a complete dill then lets make it the 1st of March, 12:30 somewhere in the Wu.

(Gaaa! So embarassed!)

Liv

Hi everyone, just to make sure again we'll meet on 1st of March BLCU West or East Gate at 1:00 pm, right??? Please may someone confirm again... ;)

I am heading towards Beijing this afternoon and will arrive the same day.

Very much looking forward to see all of you!!!

Regards

Jane