Chinese-Forums

Accreditation in Chinese Universities?

braveb

Anyone have information on the quality/ranking of "Chinese Language" degrees from places such as Jilin, Harbin, Dalian, Heilongjiang, Beijing? The average priced BA was around 8000 USD, assuming it would take you 4-5 years to complete it. What I found odd was that the entry requirements were nill, and there wasn't even a HSK min level to enroll. Are these places just diploma mills? I looked at some graduate student profiles here in the states, and I found that some got there BAs from the huge unis I've mentioned... but the students were Chinese to begin with.

I'm mainly looking at the ones posted on the ARAQ network.

I don't know obviously, I can't speak for every employer, but I really think ignorance would come into play here.

If you're going to one of these Universities to learn Chinese, then I think it would be incredibly useful for you. I'd like to think that in many western employers minds someone who went to China to learn Chinese would be better qualified then someone who learnt it from the University of Utah. I know I'd lean towards the Chinese graduate; someone who's been immersed in the language for 4 years compared to someone who's been immersed in the language for 4 hours a day for four years.

Outside of that I really wouldn't know what to think about the credibility of diplomas here.

You would obvisouly need to be good at Chinese to play on someone's ignorance of a foreign education system.