Chinese-Forums

How to pronounce it in Hokkien?

Stefani

The pronunciation may differ, depending on which sub-dialect of 福建話Fujianese you are referring to.

For standard 廈門 Amoy, it would be Ng Kay Jin. For 漳州 Chiang Chew, it would be Ooi Kay Jin.

Glad to know that there are people out there who still take an interest in the dialectal pronunciation of Chinese names. :)

Mark Yong,

Thank you for your reply. My guess is that it will be Chiang Chew, since I know the Huang is romanized to Oei (I am Indonesian Chinese).

Mine is Oei Kwie Hiang -> Huang Gui Xiang (Gui -a type of flower, Xiang fragrant), does that sound more like the Chiang Chew?

Quest,

Thank you for replying, it is good to know that it is very similar to Japanese.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine is Oei Kwie Hiang -> Huang Gui Xiang (Gui -a type of flower, Xiang fragrant), does that sound more like the Chiang Chew?

If 'Kwie' is a type of flower, then my guess your name is either 黃桂香 or 黃瑰香. Well, if your surname is Romanised as Oei (and not Ng), then chances are it is Chiang Chew.

Do many Indonesian Chinese still speak Hokkien?

Mark Yong,

Thank you for your reply. My name is 黃桂香 (at least I know how to write my name - well, more or less :-) So now I know that it is Chiang Chew.

My grandfather came from China, so he can speak Hokkien as well as Mandarin. The IBC (Indonesian Born Chinese) probably are less likely to speak Hokkien, because when they went to school, it will be Mandarin. There are a few words here and there in Hokkien that are used or even Indonesianized. There are Chinese who are "totok" (more "pure" Chinese, tend to be China born) and then there are "baba-nyonya" (a rather unique combination of Chinese and Malay culture, language, & tradition).

ETC: using the wrong terms for the China-born Chinese.

• 4 years later...