Chinese-Forums

Documentation when Changing Schools

Hero Doug

Me again, not quite sure what to do here. The school is quite good and I would ultimately like to go there because the pay is good, and the planning is easy, however their now asking for a copy of my Visa and experts certificate.

I know that they just want the information to show the education office to show I'm not an illegal alien, but the concern I have is that if I give them the copies; when someone from the education office walks in and see's my visa and experts certificates are made out to a university that it'll cause trouble, and I may end up going back to Canada sooner then I want.

I was wondering if anyone knew any actual laws pertaining to this situation.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but my impression is that the work permit does not specify WHERE one can work. It simply allows aliens to work. Many of the work visas arranged through agencies are issued in the names of shell companies.

If your employer is running things legitimately they will need to pay taxes for you, which wil be automatically deducted from your pay. If this is the kind of place that requires this sort of information the salary should be high enough to compensate your for providing your own visa.

Realistically, I'd be more concerned that you might run into problems with your university (which got you the work visa) if they find out you are moonlighting and have a problem with that. As long as your contract with them doesn't specify that you can't take up other part-time employment you should be fine though.

I don't see how you're going to be able to change schools without handing over your documentation at some point. You may be asked to supply a letter from your current employer saying that you have / will have completed your contract with them and are therefore free to seek other employment, and if you haven't told your current employer what your plans are this would probably be a good time to do so.

The situation isn't exactly like that, I don't want to break any contracts. I'm not planning on leaving my current university, but when the contract finishes in June I would like to switch to this new school.

The new school know's of my other employment and have been good about arranging a schedule around it, they have no problem with it. They in fact want me working there to keep in contact with me until I'm available.

I just don't want to be surprised by an article in the labour law that fines me 10 000 RMB for dual employment. The breach penality is 1000 USD, a bit high. Maybe I'll just tell the new school they have to agree to pay that penality should it come it since their the reason I breakhed (kind of cheeky I know).

Anyways, my girlfriend is going to talk to a lawyer tonight, we'll see what they say.

Ok, if you are working at the two places concurrently then I would be wary - school 2 shouldn't be doing anything official on your behalf until you are actually moving to full-time employment with them, and therefore shouldn't need your documents till April / May. There's a possibility they might think they can show the documents to the education office to say 'hey, this guy is legal', while the education office is going to say 'yeah, legally employed by someone else'

• 2 weeks later...