Chinese-Forums

Best Chinese grammar book?

PaoYu

I don't have a copy of the book at hand, but if I remember correctly, at the very beginning in the foreword, it specifically says that the rules are only general, and that not everybody would agree with or stick to them.

Sure, Anonymoose, and the same is true of a lot of grammar points - there's rarely only one way of expressing and thus "pinning down" a proposition in any language.

The good thing about Y&R is that at least they nail their colours boldly to the mast. In some books, one has to hunt a fair bit to even establish that this aspect can be negated (usually the positive examples outnumber any negative), never mind with what exactly!

Thanks too for the input, Creamyhorror! (Do you have a link for that thread, by the way? Nothing obvious jumped out in the searches I tried, or the likelier threads I then browsed).

• 2 years later...

I really like Intermediate Chinese Grammar by Don Remmington and Po-ching Yip. I know they also make a beginner's book and a comphrensive grammar as well. I liked this series because the text focuses on grammar, it has a wealth of exercises to work with, and answers are in the back as well. It is quite good for self-study. I would not get the hard-back edition though, 70 pounds sterling is too much. I think I paid $20 for the paperback version.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The best Chinese grammar book I came across so far is "Chinesische Grammatik für Deutsche" by Jingyang Zhu. Unfortunately this book is in German, so it is not that useful for most of the members here. That is really a pity, because this book explains the Grammar really well and it is very easy to understand (They chose fairly easy sample sentences). The book contains exercises and it also contains the key to the exercises at the end of the book.

Linguaholic - danke!

I've always seen the name of that book pop up, and wondered how it was!

I don't know how it's for you, since your Chinese is quite advanced already, but for me, when the words or grammar get a bit more tricky, I really appreciate when I can have German-Chinese explanations and dictionaries.

It would be cool if you ever have the time, if you made a German Chinese resources list. Would be interesting to hear your opinion since you're obviously advanced.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently going through Teng Wen-Hua's Yufa!. This is the first dedicated grammar book that I'm reading, so I don't have a basis for comparison. But it's very thorough and straightforward, goes through every nuances for each grammar or function word, with an example sentence for each. Also has a diffculty classification (Levels 1,2,3) if that matters. Exercises at the end of each chapter with an answer key at the end.

One downside I can think of is as of now, the book is only in simplified (with English and pinyin), which works just fine for me, but might not for somebody else.

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

I am interning for AllSet Learning in Shanghai and just started learning Chinese. The Chinese Grammar Wiki has a lot of really good information on it for both beginners and intermediate speakers. We also have a list of textbooks that were used in creating the wiki. The link to that list is: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Chinese_textbook_grammar_index

If you do want to use the onlne resources available on the Chinese Grammar Wiki, it is possible to switch it over to traditional characters. Here is the link you need to do so: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Tools#Browser_Extension:_Switching_Character_Sets

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it has been said before, but just confirming any grammar book by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington are excellent. Only ones I need to use when native speakers can't tell me 'why' a certain pattern should be used.

An important note for people intending to buy Modern Mandarin Grammar by Claudia Ross and Jing-heng Sheng Ma.

This book is due to be updated to a new edition to be released August 16. 

Implementing feedback from users of the first edition of the Grammar, this second edition has been revised throughout to offer expanded explanations, examples, cross-referencing, and indexing and brand new chapters on aspect, resultative verbs, directional verbs and "ba" sentences.

It is available for pre-order now. I own the first edition and I am looking forward to the revised edition with the expanded explanations, and so on. Best to buy the new edition rather than the old.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Mandarin-Grammar-Workbook-Bundle/dp/0415827140/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YQCRGFG1ZFSH3TXK8KS

a grammar book I've always found helpful is 《对外汉语教学语法择定201例》. Note, it is all in Chinese (meant to be a teacher's guide to teaching Chinese as a foreign language)

Implementing feedback from users of the first edition of the Grammar, this second edition has been revised throughout to offer expanded explanations, examples, cross-referencing, and indexing and brand new chapters on aspect, resultative verbs, directional verbs and "ba" sentences.

Did the first edition of the Ross make it clear that it wasn't that comprehensive a grammar? Because those things that it apparently missed out would seem essential to at least mention in passing if not cover in some detail, and probably all the other single-volume grammars listed in this thread include them. I'm kind of surprised actually, and glad I didn't buy a copy (of the first edition at any rate!).

and glad I didn't buy a copy (of the first edition at any rate!).

I agree, this book should only be consulted with beginner to almost intermediate grammar questions.  Otherwise, you must use other resources.

The absolute best chinese grammar book I've come across is 马真 《简明实用汉语语法教程》. It is entirely in chinese, though. But if it were me, I would not recommend looking at any terminology other than chinese itself, however it probably differs from language to language. But sometimes the subject in Chinese is most likely subject in English, however the term is the say, thus a lot of confusion may arise.  That book is required as a reference book for undergrads in Chinese Linguistics at PKU, so I assume it's for people with a basic knowledge of grammar. It mainly explains how to analyze sentences, but I think it could be uses as a study book as well.