Chinese-Forums

One Way Ticket & Chinese Immigration

pushingeast

• 3 months later...

Have any native U.S. citizens had trouble entering China on a tourist visa, with only a one-way ticket? The airline I contacted told me that if I did not have a round trip ticket, then I would not be let into the China, basically forcing me to directly buy a one-way ticket back home. I have never heard any mention of this... and I was wondering if anyone else had?

Thanks All!

This is more a problem with the airline than with China customs. The airline is just covering their butt. Once I had a Northwest airlines check- in counter person say I couldn't board because I had a one way ticket to China. I explained that I was going to be studying and I would change my visa to a student visa. After a "I've worked for this airline for 13 yrs and this is against policy" speech he finally agreed to make some calls to some Northwest people who knew more abt China, and they agreed with me that it was easy to change the visa to a student visa once I arrived in China.

It's funny that you only get these red tape problems with the foreign airlines and never with Chinese ones. I flew to China on Air China from the US on a one-way ticket with tourist visa last fall and no one hassled me abt it.

This is general among international airlines: many countries request proof of solvability as well as a return flight ticket for (temporary) visa approval. Many airlines implemented this as a general policy (of course, it's a financial plus for them too).

That you do not have this with a Chinese airline is simply because it is an airline of the country of destination. Rest assured that a Chinese person wanting to travel to Europe or the US might face the same issue with a Chinese airline (but again, maybe not with an airline of country of destination).

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if there has been any problems flying in with a one-way ticket recently (summer 2008). I'm flying in (one-way) to BJ the day after closing ceremonies. I have a multi-entry F. Every other time I've flown in, I've always had a roundtrip ticket, and to be honest, I can't remember whether or not Chinese customs makes it a point to check for return tickets. Should I be expecting anything?

• 5 months later...

Hi there..

I know this topic is a bit older, and I have looked up some of the info myself on the net, but most of what I have found is pertaining to people coming from the UK.

I'm in Vancouver Canada, and was wondering if there are any Canadians that have tried to get a one way ticket recently from the west coast?

I have asked the school that has given us our acceptance letter (EF) to issue us the requirements for the Z visa - "Employment license issued by the Chinese Labor Ministry. For applicants to be working in an academic institution, a confirmation issued by the Chinese Foreign Experts Bureau."

We are planning to get the doctors certificates, and the letter of invitation..and of course all our shots...

Does anyone think this will be enough documentation to support a one-way ticket purchase?

As after obtaining all the aforementioned, getting to the airport and being denied would be upsetting to say the least.

Thanks.

Oh, and i definitely would be interested in finding out about the e-ticket - if the offer is still out there. phem_bot@yahoo.ca

Thanks again!

phembot,

I've never, ever had customs check my return ticket, regardless of the type of visa I was entering on. I think with a valid long-term Z visa, there's no way they will check it, as the return would need to be for at least a year or so in the future.

You will not encounter any problem purchasing the ticket. If you did run into problems, it will be when you go to check-in at the airport in Canada, as the person behind the desk might think you need to have a return ticket before being allowed to board the flight. This is not the case however (you might after all be leaving China via train or whatever) and if you insist (and ask to speak to superior if necessary) you'll be allowed on.

Thanks for the info!!

Yeah, I have heard the issue will be with the people at the airport, actually letting you on the plane. Which is what worries me the most... I don't want to have everything all set, and then... no dice.

I think I would be so nervous to fight the check-in person, to ask for a supervisor though...

Airports make me nutty... so this would just throw me for a loop probably.

Which is odd, as I'm generally a pretty strong willed, confident gal...

Bring friends and/or family members as moral support as you yell at the supervisor (or let them do the yelling for you) :D

Or just fly Air China direct from YVR; they are usually the cheapest and as a bonus they are a Star Alliance member if you happen to collect Aeroplan.

• 6 months later...

phembot,

I'm also a Canadian flying into Beijing with an L visa and one way ticket (though I'm departing from the UK). I don't think it's going to be a problem or as I sure heck hope there isn't. I've flown from UK/Canada several times and they've never asked to see my return ticket...

I don't think it's going to be a problem or as I sure heck hope there isn't. I've flown from UK/Canada several times and they've never asked to see my return ticket...

I flew one-way from the UK to HK in 07 on the (now defunct) Oasis Hongkong airline. Even though my destination was HK, at the checkin they did ask for details of onward travel. I'd booked a train to Guangzhou online & they accepted a printout of the e-confirmation.

Before flying I called their call centre to discuss the situation. There's some kind of rulebook (IATA?), but it was worded quite ambiguously. I seem to remember getting conflicting answers about what I needed from different employees. So I got the name & number of the supervisor who'd be on duty when I was checking in, just in case the check-in person decided I didn't have the right documentation. This might be the safest way to go.

You can find the official IATA guidelines at this incredibly useful site:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/

For China, it explicitly states that entry on a one-way ticket is ok. For Hong Kong, a return/onward ticket is required unless in transit to mainland China.

You can find the official IATA guidelines at this incredibly useful site:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...t_information/

For China, it explicitly states that entry on a one-way ticket is ok.

Thanks - that is a useful site. But travel agents &/ airlines seem to be pretty ignorant of its contents.

(In the case of my flight to HK, I didn't have a visa for China - I wanted to get one in HK. So I had no way to prove intentions for onward travel using a ticket to China... Bit of a catch 22.)

• 1 year later...

Got pulled up on this just now with Qantas, checking in for Sydney to Hong Kong. I actually have onward travel from HK booked and got sent off to the Emirates desk to get a print out to prove it. Just seems ridiculous, HK immigration have never done more than ask how long I'm staying before giving me my automatic 6-month stamp.

And for a hat-trick, security stole my toothpaste and then I tested positive for traces of explosives. I managed to refrain from joking that it was all ok, they were in the toothpaste tube, and they re-tested me with a machine that, quote, 'isn't broken'. I hope to make it onto the plane without further incident.