Chinese-Forums

reading in hong kong and taiwan and Singapore

elizaberth

Hi there, I would like to know the reading 'feng' (chinese word 'wind') in hong kong and taiwan. How many books do hong kongers and taiwanese read per year. Do they read alot? What type of books do hong kongers and Taiwanese read mostly?I am from Singapore. The reading culture in Singapore sucks very much. They do not read much and watch tv all the time. Singapore has the resources to learn good chinese but the people seem not to be aware of this. Shen Zai Fu Zhong Bu Zhi Fu. Not to say bad things about my country but it is a fact.

讀書風氣? There is a topic here on the 100 favourite novels of Taiwan readers (do a search). And it should reflect their taste.

I suspect that with large chain bookstores like 誠品, Taiwan people should enjoy reading a lot. HK people also read a lot, especially megazines, newspapers and comic books. But I doubt if many of us like reading serious stuff. I think this best-seller list may to a certain extent reflect HK people's taste -> http://www.jointpublishing.com.hk/cxsb/cxsb.asp?p_class=F (but not mine).

BTW, I was really impressed by the very big bookstores on Orchard Road in Singapore. The one I went to was 紀之國屋, its size, variety of books and the very long queue(S!!) of customers were very impressive (I had to line up for about 30 minutes before I could pay the cashier).

the Kinukuniya bookshop eh? Yeah, I been there before. maybe it is the biggest bookshope in Singapore. Currently, there is a chinese bookfair at Bras Basah and I bought two dictionaries, one on chinese Shu Yu and the other on Xie Hou Yu. THESE ARE SOME OF THE GEMS OF THE CHINESE LANGUAGE BESIDES CHEN YU. I can't find these books at the Kinukuniya bookshop.