Chinese-Forums

that program with the icon thingie...i want it.

channamasala

So I was told that after enabling Simplified Chinese with that IME thing that I'd be able to type in Chinese in different applications. Guess what. I can't. Rather, maybe I can but I sure can't figure out where to go to do it.

At least my computer will finally show characters, which it wouldn't before.

What I want is this writing program that some of you have mentioned having where there is a little icon in the taskbar that says ABC or En or whatnot and you click on it so you can go immediately from typing English to typing in Chinese using pinyin (with the choices for characters displayed for you) - and what's more, you can do it in Messenger (that's important to me as I've been trying to have conversations in Chinese with some people but have had to use pinyin, which annoys us all), Word, Publisher - this is important for work - etc.

Where do I go to get this program? I had it on the school computer in China and thought it worked pretty well. I seem to remember it would guess the character for you using a language device and it was generally right...I'd like it on my PC.

Thanks! And sorry if I sound like an idiot...I probably am.

I should note that I installed the IME and enabled Simplified Chinese like it said to...I can't FIND the language bar on the Start menu but that's probably because I haven't looked hard enough.

And it still doesn't work in any program, and won't show or type Chinese in Trillian (which I'm using in lieu of MSN, Yahoo and AIM at the same time).

There's an option you have to check somewhere to "enable the language bar" or something like that....I've said it in another thread, but here it is again...on my site, there's a tutorial that'll give you a little more in-depth tutorial.

http://www.chrissimpson.com/tutorial1.html

I hope this helps. If it does, please pass on the link to other people who'd like to do the same and/or shoot me an e-mail (link on my site). Any time I can help somebody on their way to learning Chinese, I feel good!

I do know, for the record, that the IME does translate very well in Yahoo! IM and lots of other programs, but it may not work very well with Trillian. Not all programs have support for it. I use it in Yahoo! IM all the time, though, when I talk to my friends in China. It's not perfect, but it's usually really accurate.

Look again at Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages and make sure you've got "Install files for East Asian Languages" checked. Then click "Details" on the same page under "Text services and input languages." Make sure that "Chinese (PRC)" with Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0 is one of the options listed under Installed Services (if not, click Add and add it). Then click "Language Bar" and make sure that at least the first and third show-language-bar options are checked. Apply/OK back to the previous page, go to the Advanced tab and make sure that the box under Compatibility Configuration IS checked and that the box under System Configuration is NOT. Apply/OK your way out.

Chinese language support under English Windows is aweful. You can get XP to support Chinese character-input (Control Panel), but usually only for major programs like Word, while simple operations like cross-program cutting and pasting often don't work since Windows seems to convert the data into an internal format. Some advertised features (character-entry for Notepad) failed to work for me despite being documented as functioning. Character-entry under the Chinese version is MUCH BETTER.

For what its worth, another reason to go with the Chinese version of Windows if you can get it is that most of the low cost Chinese hardware is produced to be compatible with it, but incompatible with the English versions. I'm thinking about things like those "character-writing pads" that recognize handwriting and make computer-aided dictionary searches painless.

If you're more adventurous, you may want to try out Red Flag Linux, which has the character-entry built-in, as well as an English-Chinese and Chinese-English dictionary. Assuming you know enough Chinese to follow the installation process, and aren't afraid of Unix, you won't have any problems. I personally keep a dual-boot since a lot of Unix apps don't have the trouble with cross-platform support that English Windows seems to have.... I have issues chatting in Chinese characters with friends on AIM, for instance, but no issues with GAIM under Red Flag though.

Best of luck,

--david

Chinese language support under English Windows is aweful. You can get XP to support Chinese character-input (Control Panel), but usually only for major programs like Word, while simple operations like cross-program cutting and pasting often don't work since Windows seems to convert the data into an internal format. Some advertised features (character-entry for Notepad) failed to work for me despite being documented as functioning. Character-entry under the Chinese version is MUCH BETTER.

XP (any version) works better with Unicode compliant apps, but you can use GB apps (PRC) and Big5 (HK, Taiwan) using AppLocale utility as explained here:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

Since XP, I use Chinese (PRC or Taiwan) versions of Windows less often due to this feature which works fine too.

Character-entry for Notepad works very well for me, Notepad being a tool I use most often...

Cut-and-paste, Notepad and other WinXP functions should work fine with Chinese on WinXP English. If they don't, make sure your system's set up as described in my earlier post; in particular, the box under Compatibility Configuration that reads as follows must be checked:

"Extend support of advanced text services to all programs. Select this check box to turn on advanced text services in Notepad and other programs . . . ."

If you've got difficulty running a Chinese-language program on WinXP English, then either download and run Apploc as mentioned above or use the alternative approach discussed here:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx#sysloc

Remember that ANY Win98 or other non-XP program, Chinese or not, may not run well on WinXP; if you're running old software try using Compatibility Mode (right-click on the program, select Properties then go to the Compatibility tab).