Chinese-Forums

brackets (for quotation marks), how do you type them?

kaox0018

跟《这个》一样,吗?

Just use the < and > keys on your keyboard. Works for me, but I use Chinese PRC and simply switch to the traditional characters if I want to enter those, so I don't have the Taiwan IME installed any more.

I think nowadays you could use these to quote what people say (I think all are acceptable) -

「」 - these are the equivalent of single quotation marks

『』- these are the equivalent of double quotation marks

“”- these are used today because they are easy to type (shift+")

《》- these are for titles of books / articles (shift+< or shift +>)

I use the "punctuation" soft keyboard of windows IME (PRC) to type the chinese punctuation marks. If you use Taiwan IME, click the 工具選單 at the 語言列 and then choose 標點符號.

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing you could try is switching on the soft-keyboard (it's the button on the IME bar that looks like a little keyboard). There will definately be a on the soft-keyboard, and so long as you're in Chinese punctuation mode it will come out as a 、

The soft-keyboard should also give you a clue as to location on your keyboard of the key. I'd be very surprised if there was no way to type 、at all. Perhaps try going through and typing all the punctuation keys (both with and without shift) and see what you get :mrgreen: Out of curiosity, what happens if you press the * key. (I ask because if I switch my keyboard layout to French, what was the key for the US keyboard becomes the * key).

Haha, well, if you're open to such hacks, there's still one last thing to try before either giving up or resorting to QWERTY :-)

Firstly, download Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator. Then make a new layout based on the French AZERTY keyboard. Then, remap one of the lesser used keys to the key. As this keyboard layout will only be used for your chinese input method, it can be any key you won't use while typing Chinese, also you should use either map a normal key, or the key in its shift-state, but not in its AltGr state, as that was giving you problems earlier.

Once you've created your new keyboard layout, then hack the registry again to use your new layout. If that all works, you should now be able to type (and therefore 、). If not, then I guess you're pretty much out of luck :-)