Chinese-Forums

A mid-sentence 這, ambiguous subject/topic

Jinxx

Anyone care to help parse this second sentence? The part in red i don't understand.

'In order to establish a nation together they had to ... ' and that's where i get lost until 'maintain equality in the workplace.'

‘同志’顯示了五, 六十年代中國大陸傳統的尊卑觀念的否定. 因為大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走倒一起來的, 在工作面前一律平等.

Is the red part: 'This communal will directed at raising up (a nation)' ?

I've seen 這 floating around in the middle of other sentences before and not understood it. Please comment if you know of any explanatory pattern. Or if you could give some examples of similar usage, since i can't figure out what part of speech the clause after 這 becomes in this case, if it's not the subject.

in the sentence you posted "這"means"建設國家" so in other words,"這"always refers to the word or something in front of it( I'm not good at English so my explaination may be puzzling)

for example “王明這家伙” "這" means王明 or 交通拥挤這一原因,"這" means交通拥挤, could you understand?

Very good, thank you.

Now, how do the 向 and 的 function together here?

Does 這一共同的志走倒一起來 mean (literally) 'this common will directed at proceeding together'

So that the 的 modifies the 志; but then is 向 here acting as a verb along with 走倒?

Very literal: "this communal will (which) aims to arrive (as a) together (kind of will)"

I know that's impossibly awkward but i'd like to figure out what the 的 is doing and whether 一起來的 modifies 志 like an adjective or, as the 一起 would suggest, an adverb. If it's the latter i don't know why a 的 is necessary. :help

how do the 向 and 的 function together here?

As smalldog said, '志向 is a noun meaning ideal'. It's absolutely correct.

As for 的, it's a component of the sentence pattern 'subject + 是 + ... 的'. For your sentence 因為大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走一起來的, its pattern is 'subject + 是 + clause sentence + 的'. (Not 倒, but 到.)

Other patterns include

subject + 是 + noun + 的

e,g,

这本书是谁的?

这房子是木头的。

subject + 是 + verb + 的

e.g.

我是教书的。

那个人是送信的。

subject + 是 + adj. + 的

e.g.

这条鱼是新鲜的。

衣服是旧的。

I think it's a difficult sentence for you because this sentence contains many words and complex structure in it.

‘同志’顯示了五, 六十年代中國大陸傳統的尊卑觀念的否定. 因為大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走倒一起來的, 在工作面前一律平等.

Firstly, you should know this is a complex sentence and what the relationship between the two simple sentences is.

We can separate it as follows:

‘同志’顯示了五, 六十年代中國大陸傳統的尊卑觀念的否定.// 因為大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走倒一起來的, 在工作面前一律平等.

We always use’//’ or ‘/’ to separate a sentence.

For example,

这将会是一个美妙的的圣诞节,//因为我的朋友都会来一起庆祝。(1)

It will be a great Christmas, because all my friends will come to celebrate it together.

Then we will parse the relationship between the two single sentences. Because there is ‘ 因為’ in the latter sentence, we can know that the latter is to explain the first.

Just like example (1). in Chinese, ‘因为’ always indicates explaining. Just like

因为我有事,//所以我先走了。(2)

Because I am busy, I have to go.

Now, we know the latter is to explain the first.

‘同志’顯示了五, 六十年代中國大陸傳統的尊卑觀念的否定.

‘Comrade’ indicates that the traditional conception about ‘respected and distained’ was negated in Chinese mainland in 1950’s and 1960’s.

The following will explain it, and how it is going.

因為大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走到一起來的, 在工作面前一律平等.

Before we explain this sentence, we parse it first.

‘因為’ is the conjunction of the complex sentence, so we discard it when we parse the sentence. Then the left is大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走到一起來的, 在工作面前一律平等.

If you can’t understand the meaning of the whole sentence, you can separate it from the comma ’,’, just like大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走到一起來的, /在工作面前一律平等.

We use ‘/’ to separate the sentence. Then we can parse the first part’大家都是為了建設國家這一共同的志向走到一起來的’, which you don’t understand.

Then we parse the sentence just like what we do in English

(Noun. Or pronoun)Subject +( verb)predicate

The subject always comes first, so ‘大家’ is the subject

In Chinese ‘为了….’ is always to indicate adverbial modifier which implys the object or reason.

As analyzed above, we know the structure of the sentence is ‘we all do something for some reason or some object’

The remaining part is the most difficult for you, because you must separate the part of adverbial modifier. In other words, you must make it clear what the reason or object is.

大家為了建設國家這一共同的志向走到一起來的

In Chinese, ‘…..的…….’ is always used in the form of ‘modifier +的+ object’, such as

‘美丽的女孩’ beautiful girl

So we know in the sentence為了建設國家這一共同的志向走到一起來的. The word after ’的’ is志向, which means destination or goal. As we know the structure of the sentence is ‘we all do something for some reason or some object’ we know the ‘为了….. 的志向’. In order to make the sentence understood easily, we can discard the part of ‘为了….. 的志向’. Then the remainder is ‘大家走到一起来的’

So far, we understand the main frame of the sentence is ‘we all come together for some reason’

The unsettled part is to parse’為了建設國家這一共同的志向’

And we have known’ 為了…….的志向’

We can parse the left, ‘这’ in Chinese is a pronoun. After you said something, you can use ‘这’ to address it. We also call it ‘同位语’, which means the same thing. ‘一’ is a number. ‘….. 共同的….’means communal object or ideal, just like what I have mentioned above ‘modifier +的+ object’, such as

‘美丽的女孩’ beautiful girl

‘高高的山峰’ the high mountain

‘那些调皮的孩子’those naughty boys

P.S. 走倒 should be 走到