Chinese-Forums

the usage of 被

babygodzilla

3. 他那个苹果吃了. (Preposed object in SOV order) Sentence 3 says what action he completed that involved the apple.

this is wrong. 他把那个苹果给吃了 sounds better.

2. 他把那个苹果吃了. (把 bǎ construction) Sentence 2 says what he did to the apple. There is an emphasis on the final fate of the apple.

this also sounds a bit off.

to add more confusion, you can also say 那个苹果是他吃的, meaning 'he is the one who ate that apple', but i don't think this is passive voice, but rather saying who ate the apple.

鱼吃了

This is not "the fish was eaten" in Chinese!

鱼吃了 = The fish ate something

1. 他吃了那个苹果.

2. 他把那个苹果吃了.

3. 他那个苹果吃了.

4. 那个苹果他吃了.

5. 那个苹果吃了.

6. 那个苹果被吃了.

Sentences 1, 2 and 6 are all correct.

I think native speakers would not use Sentences 3 and 5.

Sentence 4 is acceptable orally, however a long dash known as 破折号 should be introduced and placed between 那个苹果 and 他吃了. Hence, 那个苹果 ----- 他吃了

I love the very academic approach to 被 however I find it mildy trivial because my experience with asking my Chinese teachers in 中山大学 is that bei doesn't have a negative meaning more, bei is just passive voice, it's just a word to put in to change the order.

Also for the sentences mention all are correct. Ofcourse have slightly different meaning but I think that is obvious for the presentation when given, like an English sentence the intonation and postion of words can influence alot.

Most Academics of Chinese will agree is bei is being used more and more, however I object that they will say it is being used wrongly they just think it's a change in language i've had too many teachers laugh at me when I try to say oh but isn't proper use of bei just for negative for me to believe that's the real modern day use of it anymore.