Chinese-Forums

difference between 得 and 會

Guest mamba9

Hihi, how is everyone. I've come to a new chapter with a new character in my book, 得. In my book it says as a neutral tone it means "particle indicating potentiality, capability, or manner in which an action is achieved." It gives this example: 看得見 means "to be able to see, can see, capable of seeing, etc..."

我看得見 means "I can see, etc..."

So whats the difference between that and this:

我會看見 = ?

And just for fun, this would be really gramatically wrong right?

我會看得見.

Thank you in advance.

if you are not blind, 你什么都看得見

if you are blind, 你什么都看不見

if you are blind, currently undergoing a treatment that will restore your sight, and your doctor tells you that after the treatment, 你什么都會看得見

basically, 會 is just the future tense, but it also means you definitely, 100% see (whatever).

firstly, I think 我会看见 is not a correct sentence in standard Mandarine, maybe applicable in some southern dialects.

我看得见 has this pattern of "verb + 得 + result",such as 听得清、跑得快, ect, which particularly highlight the "result", 得 gets a very weak meaning about "can", at least for me.

basically, 會 is just the future tense, but it also means you definitely, 100% see (whatever).

That's incorrect. Alone, 会 + V indicates either the chance or probability that something will come to pass, or signifies the ability (usually a learned skill, but there is some overlap with 能 here) to do something. (The latter does not bear on this discussion.)

To indicate 100% definitiveness, one must say 一定会 or something similar.

我看得见 has this pattern of "verb + 得 + result",such as 听得清、跑得快, ect, which particularly highlight the "result", 得 gets a very weak meaning about "can", at least for me.

Here you're confusing Potential Complements, Resultative Complements, and Descriptive Complements. 听得清 and 跑得快 cannot be resultative complements, because they contain 得. 看得见 also has a potential complement, not a resultative complement, which would simply be 看见. In fact, that is one of the way you can know when you have a potential complement: what would otherwise be a resultative complement contains a 得! (It should be noted that both 听得清 and 跑得快, depending on the rest of the sentence, could possibly be descriptive complements, though in any case they are not resultative.)

Technically, sentences with potential complements "tend to take an objective stance and the ability or inability to carry out the action expressed in the verb may arise at least in part from circumstances beyond the control of the speaker." (from Yip and Rimmington, Chinese: A Comprehensive Grammar. Emphasis added.)

I've come to a new chapter with a new character in my book, 得. In my book it says as a neutral tone it means "particle indicating potentiality, capability, or manner in which an action is achieved."

Strictly speaking, 得 pronounced in the neutral tone does not mean much by itself. It would be better to say that it is used in certain patterns that indicate potentiality, capability, or manner, etc. This usage derives from its pronunciation as de2, which means "to achieve." Note that some of these patterns are equivalent to patterns in English that use "can," but many are not and have no meaning relating to ability or potential.

As for 會/会, it can be used as an equivalent of English "can" in circumstances where it applies to a learned skill. It is roughly equivalent in meaning to "know how to" in this usage. 得 cannot be used in this pattern and does not mean this. As stated by earlier posters, 會/会 is also used in other patterns to indicate probability or a prediction.

nitbj:

firstly, I think 我会看见 is not a correct sentence in standard Mandarine, maybe applicable in some southern dialects.

how about something like

在那里,我会看见到彩虹。

我看得見 means "I can see, etc..."

And just for fun, this would be really gramatically wrong right?

我會看得見.

These sentences contain 语病, consider the followings instead.

我看得到 I can see

我会看到 I will see

我会看得到 I will be seeing

Hope this helps!

K.