Chinese-Forums

HELP! Anyone with info on Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai!

cesarjr

Hi. I'm new. My name is Cesar. :mrgreen: I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting iot in studies and living. (Sorry.) BUT I REALLY NEED HELP!

I'm looking to go to "China" to study kung fu. Since I need to speak, I will also be learning the necessary language. I have no idea of what is where, both provincial-wise, and locally.

Basically, I'm looking for info on a good school. I don't want to learn to "dance" kung fu; i'm looking more into actual fighting. (I really like Jacki Chan's style.) It doesn't matter if its in Beijing, Shanghai, or Hong Kong, possibly even somewhere else.

I don't care too much about actual living conditions. But info on that is well appreciated.

How much money is needed per week for "normal" living. Can I get internet? Any info you guys think I need to know, please post it. Thanks a lot guys. I've seen everyone's posts and I'm surprised how helpful everyone is. :mrgreen:

I've seen everyone's posts and I'm surprised how helpful everyone is.
Given that your still asking about living expenses, I think you haven't seen everyone's yet. :wink: You might wanna have a look at these:

EXPENSES

Expenditures in Beijing/Shanghai

how much money do i need? (guangzhou)

KUNGFU

study kungfu in China...what a novel idea

Studying Martial arts and language?

These should get you started!

PS: Use the search, luke jedi.gif

Hehe. Thanks. I had already read all those, but the search was acting weird. Thanks for finding them.:D

I'm still a little unsure about how much I need. I'm looking for info about all three places to compare. I'll obviously choose the one in which there is the best leraning experience, but I would still like to anticipate and compare living costs.

For example: (iI'm looking for prices still. :D )

-I don't need a huge place. (Keep in minf I want to go for a year.) I only need somewhere where I can take a shower, cook, and sleep. Preferably no rats or roches. :wink: My guitar, my Wii, and my Laptop will keep me company. Apartments? No hotels! House rental? Shared apartments?

-I plan on cooking. I can survive on cerial, tuna, eggs, and protein powder during the week, along with bananas, fruit, etc. And on the weekends, spice things up a little. Chicken and rice. Pizza. Noodles!

-For entertainment, I don't really need to much. Just, how do you get a TV there. What voltage is used?

-Is there anyone else I can pm for info on actual teachers that are good?

You guys are great!

just to say, i think your view of your possible live overseas is too simplistic. you remind me of me. before i came to China i thought as long as I have my laptop and can eat instant noodles, i'll be fine. but no. you always get bored, and always end up wanting more. for example, you say you plan on cooking. are you seriously gonna cook everyday for 365 days? you're gonna wanna go out sometimes, with other people, maybe even to a nicer place.

another example, you say you dont need much for entertainment. just a TV? and probably your Wii? you think your brand new Wii is your best friend now, but wait a few months...

just saying, your vision of your future visit is unrealistic. you sound like you're gonna spend everyday by yourself, cooking, accompanied by your laptop, your Wii, and your TV. it doesn't sound human. you're gonna want more and more. new clothes, new friends, new places to visit. hell you might even get a new girlfriend (or two). you'll probably need more money. so when you do your monthly budget, i think you should add AT LEAST 500 RMB (or HK dollars, whatever), for "other" stuff that might come up.

maybe you'll end up buying a PS3 when you're bored with your Wii :mrgreen:

good luck

Hehe. I guess the only thing that wasn't busted was my lazy. Sorry for the hassle.:mrgreen:

Thanks to the feedback, I've gotten a pretty good idea of the cost of shelter (except Hong Kong.) I've read a bunch of different forums about the cost of food, but I'm still not sure.

How much would it cost to cook at home? I've read its about 20 kuai (yuan) per meal. Is that correct if I'm cooking eggs, rice, tuna, those kinds of things? What would be better: cooking at home or eating out?

I stayed up pretty late last night searching for clear answers, but they all leave me with a little doubt. I'm also still looking for reccomendations on Kung Fu schools. Real fighting, not dancing. :D

IF anyone needs help on USA or Mexico, I'll help you out. :wink:

You know, if you research everything before you travel, then when you arrive it'll seem boring.

20yuan a night to cook is more than enough. Even eating out that's more than enough. Spend 30y on a meal out one night, and 10y eating baozi and soup the next.

What would be better: cooking at home or eating out?
The best option in my eyes is having something delivered to your door, it's cheap and very time-effective. As I'm writing this, I am sitting over a portion of 回锅肉盖饭, which is a meat dish with rice. Got it delivered to my door for the cost of 8 kuai and a phone call.

You guys have been really helpful. I have a great idea about how much money I need to live now. Basically, I just need somewhere to actually study Wushu or Gung Fu,which is why I really want to go!!

One last question about cost of living: Are those quantities the same for Hong Kong as they are for Beijing and Shanghai?

But most importantly: Kung Fu teachers!

I can buy a bag of chips here in Arizona for 8 kuai. Amazing...

I just need somewhere to actually study Wushu or Gung Fu,which is why I really want to go!!

Ask here.

But

- search first

- don't mention wushu (they think that's just dancing)

- don't mention WII, cereal, guitars etc (the people on that forum might not take you seriously)

For starters have a look at http://www.fohanquan.com/

And learn chinese first, or it'll be a massive shock. In fact, it could be even if you do...