Chinese-Forums

Things I should bring to China from the US?

Lindsay

There are amway products (somewhat natural I guess), but in case you didn't notice previous posts, there is fake everything in China. I wouldn't trust buying vitamins here, especially since they will all say they are from the US....so just bring them yourself from the US then..

I see.

I'm not too familiar with amway. I imagine as long as I can find a gourmet supermarket, I should be able to find some things there. It seems there are less imported foods here than in Taiwan.

On another subject, I'm curious if there are lots of Indian restaurants. Those might be hard to bring. :) I found one listed in my travel book. I hope there are more.

Unfortunately, Air China isn't up to date with things like advance seat reservation. If you want a really good seat, then check-in early because they only allocate seats at checkin time (and they don't do online checkin either).

It might help to printout the seating plan at www.seatexpert.com but as Air China are upgrading their 747s you might have the wrong plan. I tried asking for a seat near the back, only to find out that they were using a 747-Combi instead of a regular 747 on my last flight.

Hi Banjo,

Thanks for the website! I was looking for something like this but the site I was on didn't have any info on Air China. Did you fly from JFK to BJS when you were on the combo plane?

Also, are perfumes allowed in our checked baggages, especially entering through US customs? I plan on bringing back a few bottles thanks to the expansion of Sephora into Beijing. :mrgreen:

Actually, it was LHR (London Heathrow).

They let you take anything you like in your checked baggage in both the US and the UK.

When I last flew in October they were starting to allow small amounts of contact lense fluid in your cabin baggage, and duty free delivered in sealed bags to the departure gate from the airport shops. JFK's web site should have the latest details for the US.

Remember: on the way home to put all the alcohol in your checked baggage, as the Chinese don't allow any drink in the cabin (I don't even think they allow you to take water, although there's plenty available once onboard).

This thread reminds me of our annual pre-hunting camp discussion about what to bring on the 2 week trip.

Consider what the native American warrior carried for a trip of many months.... A bow and arrows, a knife, a blanket, a water skin and some dried meat That's it! The rest they got on the way.

When I read your post about all of those electronic gadgets, I was thinking that spies don't carry that much gear...and ROFLOL!!

Hi griz-

Looking back at my posts and the unnecessary stress I've put myself under, I agree that this is indeed humorous. Although I've never been out hunting or camping or spying, I'm pretty sure I couldn't last 2 hours. :D:lol:

Before I went to college, in a rural area of new york, I have never seen cows grazing or chipmunks. But I'm so glad I chose the university atop hills over one that was in a big city, we had bunnies running across campus and deer roaming the parking lots at night; it was a magical 4 years!

On a side note, does anyone know if I can change my return date with a round-trip ticket from Air China? I am scheduled back on April 5th but I'm sure I will be so enamoured with beijing life that I will want to delay my return (to reality).

I am pleased you took it in the spirit inwhich it was intended.

Have a wonderful journey.

...as for changing your flight, I had to change my return trip on Air China. It cost about $300 more, which was reimbursed by the travel agency for their error. It was not that difficult, but it was time consuming.

Others will surely have more authoritative information for you.

It depends on exactly what is printed on the ticket.

The second time I flew to China using SAS with a ticket I bought from Expedia, it said on the ticket "Super saver value fare, no changes, no refunds" and that's what it meant. In order to change the return date, I had to throw the ticket in the trash, I buy a brand new ticket from Virgin.

Last time I flew to China using Air China with a ticket I bought from Ebookers, it said on the ticket "Discounted fare, changes £50, no refunds" and I was able to change the return date by phoning Air China booking a new date and paying 760RMB at the Air China tickets counter in Beijing airport.

On another subject, I'm curious if there are lots of Indian restaurants.

It took me a while to confirm this since I couldn't remember where exactly I had seen it, but there is a small Indian restaurant here (in Beijing) at the 清华园 bus stop (i.e. if you are on the 726 or 331, it goes BJ yuyan daxue, wudaokou, then qinghuayuan)

I've never eaten there, it just says Indian food and it's called The Ganges. Whoever goes there can be the forum guinea pig and report back.

I am going there on Tuesday! Its my first stop once I get to WuDaoKou. So excited!! Do you know what road it is on? Anything specific to help me locate the place would be great.

Reading other forums, I learned there are a ton of indian eateries in Chaoyang district. That is a bit far from haidian right? I guess it wouldn't be worth it to go all the way out there just to have lunch. Gosh, I'm getting so excited, I just want to jump into a sandpile of hot, steaming sweet potatoes.