Chinese-Forums

8 weeks in BNU this Summer

laffy

Hi

I'm thinking of going for a short course (8 weeks) to BNU some time this Summer. Got a few questions for anyone who has been there. I'm going up as a complete beginner (unless I decide to study from some book between now and then). Here goes:

1) I guess the Uni is rather empty in the Summer months - is it better going some other time of the year in terms of meeting people (especially Chinese) to be able to chat with etc.?

2) Would spending one semester during the academic year rather than doing an 8 weeks short course be better in terms of teaching quality and volume learnt?

3) Since there is no starting date (at least on the website) for the short courses - how would you make sure that you start from "Day 1"? How do you progress (if at all possible in 8 weeks) to a level more advanced than complete beginner in such a structure (or teh lack of it)?

4) What are class sizes like in the short courses?

5) Would you recommend doing a couple of hours extra in the afternoon with a private tutor (to sort of get the equivalent of an intensive 30hr/week course). If so is there any tutor you recommend at BNU?

6) For those of you who have been for 1 semester/short course - especially as a beginner - do you make some reasonable progress in the language within a short time span (provided you make an effort of course!)?

I appreciate that some of you who will reply would have gone there during the academic year for a semester (or more). Would be great if you could indicate whether you know if what you say would apply for the Summer months too! Not sure if they maintain same teaching structure etc.

Another University I have been considering is Beijing Mandarin Academy. I posted a thread in this forum asking if anyone had heard about it but got no replies....so I guess not! Here's a link to an agency advertising this school http://www.chinastudyabroad.org/privateschool.htm - it is in Wudaokou area.

Thanks for your help guys!

A lot of questions! Ok, a lot of answers ...

1. Yeah, and it's Summer, so very hot. You will make more Chinese friends (at BNU) if you study during the Autumn or Spring semesters. Of course, Beijing is swarming with Chinese people (duh) so you can make friends outside campus, easily, any time.

2. Will you learn more during a 4-month Semester than a 2-month Summer course? Err, yeah :) Also worth noting that the Summer school tends to attract a different type of student - one who just wants to kill time in the Summer than sonmeone dedicated to learning. The course is different, the pace is slower, and the dedication (of both students and teachers) is lower.

3. The start dates should be on the website. And .... they are http://www.bnulxsh.com/images/2004zhaosheng/07guojiban-en.htm. The dates are fixed, so you progress along with all the other students who started with you ;)

4. Dunno. I think around 20 per class; that's more than during the semester where there are around 15 per class. However, I'm guessing.

5. Yes and no. Hiring a personal tutor will certainly help you improve. However, it will eat into your social life. If your primary purpose for coming to Beinjing is to learn Mandarin, then do it. My flatmate did this, and his spoken ability improved quite a bit. I didn't, but then I came here to explore Beijing, chinese life, and to meet "real" Chinese people rather than paid tutors. I also improved quite a bit, but not as much as my friend. Recommendations ... ask the teachers once you arrive. Some might be willing to help you personally, or can recommend decent people. BNU is the best place to be to find chinese teachers!

6. I improved a load during my one semester here. It's the first time I've learnt mandarin formally (I bought a couple of books in London and self-studied). The course moves at a decent speed, you'r encouraged to do lots of homework, and if you actually finish the semester having learnt everything taught to you (impossible, but try to get close) then you'll improve greatly.

Thanks for that adrianlondon!

So the only course you can attend in the summer is the 5-week one - which I'm not too keen on since my primary aim is to learn Mandarin and it does look rather less intensive (under 4 hours a day) - and as you say at a more relaxed pace (thanks for that link).

So attending the fall semester is probably a better bet. That's gonna be tough - convincing the better half that is!!

Cheers!