Chinese-Forums

$207/m for 1 bed in Kunming...

onebir

Seems fairly expensive for that area. I know someone renting a nice 3br/2ba

furnished apartment for less up there. I've only glanced at the agent listings

but got the sense that 1br's are quite cheap (like 600-800RMB). Not sure

how many are furnished, though. And of course you have the advantage being

able to rent for a short period and not paying an agent fee.

If you plan to be down by the universities, that area is about as far away as you

can be -- maybe 8km. I'd guess 30+ minutes by bus, 20-30 minutes by bike, and

20RMB cab ride. I kind of like the area, though. Everything is brand new.

How long are you planning to rent? As a rule of thumb, everything that you could rent for a couple of days should be overpriced. If you intend to stay long-term (>3 months), try to find a flat that is not to be rented out short-term.

i just moved into mei jing xing cheng last month. nice new buildings, with three elevators

in each stack. i've got a 65 m2 apt for 650/month plus about 100/month in fees. a little

expensive, but the kitchen has loads of cabinets and enough room to cook in, plus space

for a refrigerator. quiet enough, with no ktv's nearby. traffic is light, and no major

construction nearby (yet). you can get a small 44 m2 place here for a little as 350 month,

but very basic. i'm unfurnished, but if you'll be here for more than six months, it's cheaper

to buy your own, rather than pay the bumped-up rent for crappy furniture.

there are a number of new or newish high-rises in this area. one complex has

a running track, the apt's are larger and cheaper, but the kitchens are postage stamp

sized, and there is only one elevator per stack (20-30 floors). across the street from

that one, and next to the cigarette factory, you can get a large 2br for 600. furnished

apartments are available, but i never considered them.

perhaps a bit far from the ynu/ynnu area, but there is a bus terminal a block away with

i think 15 lines. two lines will take you to the unis, about a 25 minute ride. other lines

run to downtown, plus you have direct lines to carrefour and metro, the downtown

post office, and the main rail station. if you want to try other unis, we're not too far

from the economics school which offers chinese courses, or bus 79 goes to the

agricultural uni near black dragon pool.

there is a small gym next to the bus station. one room with weight machines and a

couple treadmills, plus a half dozen badminton courts. price should be 5 rmb per

visit with a 30x card.

thanks for all the info - sounds like it's a bit far out for my tastes - i'd like to be within about 15 mins bike ride from the centre of town. out of interest though, which direction is mei jing xing cheng it from the center - can't find it on my map.

sounds like i should go for plan b - get a hotel/hostel room for a couple of weeks then find a place to rent. anyone know any decent hotels that'll give me a good rate for a couple of weeks? (or do i only really need a week to find a place?)

hahah, it's not on the map. if you get the standard km map, this area is just north of

the end of civilazation as we know it. brand new area, was just rutabega fields a few

years ago.

most of the unis can set you up in their intl student housing for a week or so - or longer

if you wish. a week is plenty of time to find a place. when you arrive, just check the

bulletin boards at the cafes along wenlinjie.