Chinese-Forums

Chinese cuisine in Europe

Yang Jiang

Hmm, I had Vietnamese & Korean in Copenhagen. They were not too bad! But I actually had more Danish "smorrebrod" than I had Asian food while I was there.

I had Vietnamese in Paris and it was very good! Japanese in Paris was okay.

Chinese in Prague & Milano was really awful! It was bad in Lisbon and Madrid.

Chinese in Amsterdam, Cologne, Brussels, Zurich was alright.

I normally have local food when I am abroad though. :mrgreen:

In London, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, Thai, Indian, Turkish, Bangladeshi are quite nice - if you know where to find them (of course!!)

I had Aghfan in London before, but I didn't really like it - quite rich and creamy - bit like Indian but milder.

K.

That's so true!

But I prefer to try local food when I'm abroad.

I must try cocido madrileño when I go to Madrid next time! :D

I had this really yummy paella in a restaurant in Malaga. I miss it so much!! :cry:

Can't remember how to get to the restaurant now...

K.

yes me too... i love to try new things, though sometimes i get quite -not amusing- surprises heh... i really don't like cocido madrileño, but there's other madrilenian (does that word even exist? :roll: ) food.

next time you come to spain come and visit me koneko! i can take you to eat really good chinese food :wink:

yep. I agree that . There are some yummy Chinese restauran locate in Europe.

But do you say that are there traditional Chinese cuisine even the cooker is from China_?

Might be some minus adjustment in order to fit for the local taste, such as spicy and way of making.

:lol:

There is a difference between Peking Duck (aka kaoya) and Crispy Duck.

Many people, including quite a few Chinese that I know living in London, prefer the Crispy Duck we get here. I always assumed it was Cantonese style rather than an invention for the UK market. This is based on the fact that, until quite recently, all the restaurants in London's chinatown were run and staffed by Hongkongers.

This is based on the fact that, until quite recently, all the restaurants in London's chinatown were run and staffed by Hongkongers.

But in HK, they don't deep fry their ducks though. The real Peking Duck should be roasted and served with pancakes. Those HK restaurants in London are just trying to cut down their costs. :mrgreen:

Another funny Chinese food in London is Singapore Noodles.

Please can you send those chefs to Singapore and learn from them how to cook the real Singapore Noodles? He he... :wink:

K.

Another funny Chinese food in London is Singapore Noodles.

In HK we have Singapore Noodles too, which a slightly spicy noodle dish. I have no idea if they are related to "Singapore". But Hamburgers are also not related to Hamburg.

I found the London Chinese food quite good. Different, but good. Honestly, I can do without "authentic", if it means cheap oil, fat, bones, grizzle and a bag full of MSG.

In HK we have Singapore Noodles too, which a slightly spicy noodle dish.

Well, that's the funny bit. Why is it that anything related to Nanyang 南洋 has to be spicy? The real Singapore Noodles I have in Singapore or Malaysia are never spicy. In fact, it's a bit like common fried vermicelli 炒米粉 but with lots of other finely chopped ingredients.

But Hamburgers are also not related to Hamburg.

That's true because Hainanese Chicken Rice is not "invented" on Hainan Island either. :wink:

Yes, there are some very good Chinese restaurants in London.

K.

True. the alteration of spice and the way of making chinese cuisine seems to be to fit for the local market.

Another issue i want to put into discussion pool ...... does european accept Chinese cuisine or really think it is a kind of culture phenomenon?

Just like .cafornia state recently filed new act to protect aisan desserts like chinese mooncake and thail pancakes. The technical skill of making asian desserts is still by hands instead of machinised´.

Cheers:)

does european accept Chinese cuisine

What you mean by "accept"?

Or in what way can a "european" not accept Chinese cuisine then not eating it?

Note: The killing of 7 people in a Chinese restaurant in Germany was not because the killer(s) didn't like Chinese food.

the alteration of spice...

Interesting side note, Sichuan Pepper (花椒) can be hard to find in China (not very hard though), but it's extremely hard to find outside of China. Even in Hong Kong it's impossible to buy.

Is that the stuff which makes your lips and mouth go numb? I'd never had it before until I had that "water boiled fish" dish in Beijing. Even using the word "water" seemed designed to trick me ;)

After working out what it was called (hua jiao) I searched the net and the main references were for its use as a medicine in America. In all the methods suggested to consume it, not one mentioned simply cooking with it.

hi everyone!

I'm new in this forum witch,by the way, i think is great!

A lot of section:culture,movies,society and so on.

Anyway in Italy chinese cousine is mainly about business,with this i mean that there isnt any passion of doing what they do and you can feel it.Yeah,most of them are very polite and friendly but the food sucks.

In Italy most of chinese restaurant has been open by wenzhounese people and except some lucky exceptions the groos ammount of chinese restaurant i've been is,like i say,less than average(to be optimistic)...

almost every restaurant has the same stuff,no creativity,and the hygenical condition are scary...most people who own restaurants has never seen a bowl before he arrived to italy...

there s just one,maybe,advantage:those restaurants are cheaper than canteens...

(with 5 euro you can have a whole set lunch!)

and no hot pot:roll:

in Austria i found some good ones!