Chinese-Forums

input of radicals

enaskitis

I assume you are using the Windows IME? The following table is accessible in ther help file:

Radical Name Pinyin

One stroke

丶 Dian dian

丨 Shu shu

(乛) Zhe zhe

Two strokes

冫 Liang dian shui er liang

冖 Tu bao gai er tu

亠 Wen zi tou er wen

讠 Yan zi pang er yan

刂 Li dao pang er li

亻 Dan ren pang er dan

卩 Dan er pang er dan

阝 Zuo er dao er zuo

(丷) Ba zi tou er ba

(丆) Shi zi tou er shi

冂 Tong zi kuang tong

Three strokes

辶 Zou zhi er zou

氵 San dian shui er san

忄 Shu xin pang shu

艹 Cao zi tou cao

宀 Bao gai er bao

(乊) Hu zi tou hu

彡 San pie er san

丬 Jiang zi pang jiang

扌 Ti shou pang ti

犭 Fan quan pang fan

饣 Shi zi pang shi

纟 Jiao si pang jiao

夂 Zhe wen er

Dong zi tou er zhe

dong

Four strokes

礻 Shi zi pang shi

攵 Fan wen er fan

(爫) Zhao zi tou er zhao

(罓) Gang zi pang

Wang zi pang gang

wang

(牜) Niu zi pang niu

Five or more strokes

疒 Bing zi pang bing

衤 Yi zi pang yi

钅 Jin zi pang jin

虍 Hu zi tou er hu

糸 Jiao si pang jiao

(罒) Si zi tou er si

(覀) Xi zi tou er xi

(糹) Jiao si pang jiao

(訁) Yan zi pang yan

(釒) Jin zi pang jin

(飠) Shi zi pang shi

(formatting got screwed up when pasting, the last syllable of each line is what you have to put in in order to get the radical)

the last syllable of each line is what you have to put in in order to get the radical

gougou, I got you, thanks. I do use Microsoft PinYin IME 2003. But I get the radical I'm looking for at the end of a long list of characters, e.g. if I type "dian" I get the corresponding radical after doing twice PageDown, on no. 8.

Do you know of a table of JUST radicals [i.e. not characters AND radicals] to choose from, in case I just want to type radicals not characters?

koneko, I'll check your suggestion too, thanks.

Enaskitis: "I would like to input radicals on my Windows. I do not want to input radicals and get chinese characters, just to input and see the radicals themselves."

Am probably too late on this one at least for Enaskitis, but might be of interest for others ...

Using IME for traditional Chinese, Microsoft phonetic IME 2002 (this is version I have), Tool menu, IME pad, second choice on the left (部), you have the list of keys.

Clicking on one very often gives you at the top of the list the symbol you are looking for - traditional or simplified. It is automatically pasted into the document you have opened - mail, word or even here, see below.

A few variants are still missing, of course, but it seems to me this is already far better than copy and paste from a preestablished list, or try to remember the phonetics of each key ...

一丨丶丿乙乚乛亅二亠人亻儿入八冂冖冫几凵刀刂力勹匕匚匸十卜卩厂厶又口囗土士夊夕大女子宀寸小尢尸屮山巛巜川工己巾干乡幺广廴廾廿弋弓彐彑彡彳心忄戈戶户戸手扌支攴攵文斗斤方无旡日曰月木欠止歹歺殳毋比毛氏气水氵火灬爪爫父爻爿丬片牙牛牜犬犭玄玉王瓜瓦甘生用田由甲疋疒癶白皮皿目矛矢石示礻禸禾穴立竹米糸纟糹缶网罒罓羊羽老耂而耒耳聿肀肉月臣自至臼舌舛舟艮色艸艹虍虫血行衣衤襾西覀見见角言讠訁谷豆豕豖豸貝贝赤走足身車车辛辰辵辶邑酉釆里金钅釒長长镸門门阝阜隶隹雨靑青非面靣革韦韋韭音頁页凬風风飛飞食饣飠首香馬马骨高髙髟鬥鬯鬲鬼魚鱼鳥鸟鹵鹿麦麥麻黃黄黍黑黒黹黽黾鼎鼓鼔鼠鼻齊齐齒齿龍龙龜龠

Using IME for traditional Chinese, Microsoft phonetic IME 2002 (this is version I have), Tool menu, IME pad, second choice on the left (部), you have the list of keys.

I use Microsoft PinYin IME 2003, and I can't find the phonetic thing. Also there is no Tool menu. I see an IME pad but the second choice on the left is to toggle English/Chinese.

Please explain

I use Microsoft PinYin IME 2003, and I can't find the phonetic thing. Also there is no Tool menu. I see an IME pad but the second choice on the left is to toggle English/Chinese.

Actual seetings will of coruse depend upon your operating system but, basically, the IME pad with tools and radicals requires that you use the "traditional Chinese" language and keyboard ("Chinese Taiwan"). As you know, you can easily shift from one version to the other inside the same message or document. The language bar must be activated to use this function.

You may find http://www.zhongwenweb.com/tradinstall.html useful ...

If you have a different system, please specify here ... Am sure someone can help !