Chinese-Forums

Any thoughts on The Painted Veil

doumeizhen

I saw this movie recently and quite liked it: good acting, drama, and an interesting view of the conflicts between and the obstacles encountered by both the foreigners and the Chinese.

I didn't really think it was very popular here, and I am wondering what peoples reactions were to it? Was it even released in China?

What are your thoughts on it?

Yeah, it had a Chinese release, though I don't think they promoted it very much as it was up against Zhang Yimou's latest. When I saw it it was relegated to the smallest room at the cinema (Dahua at Dongdan), and you had to strain to hear the dialogue over the clashing of swords from next door.

As for the film, I can remember not being very impressed but not any actual reasons. Sorry.

On Norton: I actually saw him at the Beijing airport, when despite a fever of 40+ I was there picking up my new roommate. I was convinced that I knew him from somewhere, but couldn't remember from where and was trying to rack my brains as to what his name was... He stopped in front of me to fix his coat, and then I realized, he was that guy from ER! I didn't know what to do, so naturally, I bolted. Wasn't until I saw the movie that I realized who it was....:oops:

hello.doumeizhen

i just watched this movie some weeks ago,i remembered i was attracted by this movie psoter that i decided to watch.

the movie was not so hit here,because it was the same period with the movie of "huang jin jia",and "huang jin jia" just stole all the limelight of the period.:mrgreen:

i think this movie should be shown during the Valentine period will be much more better.

at that time,chinese people were suffring from the wars and with many other factors,then when a foreigner worked in the village,the conflicts and the the obstacles were just ineluctable.this led to the talk between General Yu and Walter.

it was a pity that Walter passed away in the end,in the movie,Walter such a great person,

nearly a perfect man.actually i prefere a happy ending,but still,i think the endding was comfort.it is a touching lovestory

but at the same time,it is said that the movie is somewhat of heroism.

and by the way,when i was watching the movie,i thought General Yu spoke the mandarin with a heavy accent of cantonese.do you feel so?:mrgreen:

On Norton: I actually saw him at the Beijing airport, when despite a fever of 40+ I was there picking up my new roommate. I was convinced that I knew him from somewhere, but couldn't remember from where and was trying to rack my brains as to what his name was... He stopped in front of me to fix his coat, and then I realized, he was that guy from ER! I didn't know what to do, so naturally, I bolted. Wasn't until I saw the movie that I realized who it was....

Yeah, there have been a few sightings lately.

Roddy

PS Wahaha is fine if you just want to clean your teeth. Wouldn't drink the stuff though.

About Liuzhou's article: It is ignorant (especially to think that one can't possibly cook a good meal when one has to go to an actual market), and Norton & co did miss out on some really good food.

But on the other hand, it's not that far-fetched to think that people who are not used to it might get ill from eating Chinese food. And while a few days(/weeks) of la duzi are not really a problem for a traveller or a student, it can get really expensive when it's the big moviestar you're hiring for some very high amount of money per day gets it. Then it becomes a matter of risk management to hire a chef.

About Liuzhou's article: It is ignorant (especially to think that one can't possibly cook a good meal when one has to go to an actual market), and Norton & co did miss out on some really good food.

But on the other hand, it's not that far-fetched to think that people who are not used to it might get ill from eating Chinese food. And while a few days(/weeks) of la duzi are not really a problem for a traveller or a student, it can get really expensive when it's the big moviestar you're hiring for some very high amount of money per day gets it. Then it becomes a matter of risk management to hire a chef.

Errrr... another Norton's admirer speaking?:wink: Btw, he was not bad in Fight Club.

Errrr... another Norton's admirer speaking?
No, would have been the same if Leonardo DiCaprio or Angelina Jolie or whoever would have had their own chef. Ignorant on one hand, but IMO understandable from the director's/producer's point of view.

Btw, he was not bad in Fight Club.

I agree. He was brilliant in Primal Fear and American History X too. But his recent film the Illusionist is disappointing. I watched most of it on a flight but did not finish it and have no wish to do so.