Chinese-Forums

fascinating characters or character combinations

libertango

The 聪 in 聪明!

On the left is an 耳 ("ear"), and on the right is the character 总, which means "always". So, if one is always using their ears, and is always listening, they are wise... they are smart! :mrgreen:

Also, the characters [pop=ping pong/pīngpāng]乒乓[/pop] make me smile whenever I come across them. :)

Can anyone please help?
I'm your white knight, Koneko! :mrgreen: But unfortunately, the character below is all I could find:

You just look at them an you know the meaning!
heifeng, honestly I don't think this can be true. I did stare at them and still know nothing. So I'd put it this way: If you've known them, you'll remember them. True? :D

It's true that with such characters you only need to look at them to know the meaning. But unfortunately that means I've never had to look them up and therefore still don't know the pronounciation of most of them (I finally know tan2te4 now, but only because 'tante' is Dutch for 'aunt', so it's relatively easy to remember).

My all-time favourite character:

The meaning is not so special, but just love the shape. Perfect balance, good-looking, and easy to write. What a shame that the simplified form is so plain.

love those characters too. Does anyone know when they were coined? Did they have those sound values even before the invention of Ping Pong?

They might be rather recent; they are in my so far oldest dictionary, Mathews, first publ. 1943, but Karlgren doesn't mention them. Considering 兵 bīng, they make good sense. For bing, Karlgren suggests the old/ancient forms piang/piwang, "The graph has 'two hands' and 'axe'."