Chinese-Forums

Kim Ku (金九) in China

Ian_Lee

Who was Kim Ku? One of the most revolutionary heroes revered in both North and South Koreas. In the South, some polls even listed him only second popular to Mother Teresa.

Kim was also the person who triggered the Sino-Japanese War (many Chinese do not realize) and tilted US public opinion against Japan.

Kim was born in 1875 and had been a veteran revolutionary against Japan after Korea became colonized in 1910.

In 1919, Kim sought exodus in Shanghai and set up a provisional revolutionary government there.

In January 1932, Kim sent an assassin to bomb Emperor Hirohito's motorcade in Tokyo but the mission failed.

Japanese military was so mad that they staged an attack on January 28 at Shanghai to punish China for harboring Kim Ku.

However, their salvage invasion was all recorded down by the international media. The famous picture taken by Time Magazine -- a naked baby sitting and crying in a scorched Shanghai railway platform -- helped turn American public opinions against Japan.

In 1933, Chiang Kai Shek met with Kim Ku and let his Korean revolutionaries enroll in Chinese Military Academy. (Such move marked Chiang's uncompromising attitude with Japan.)

Kim formed a Korean army and fought with the Chinese against Japan all the way during WWII.

After Korea was liberated in 1945, he went home.

But he was discriminated by US-backed Rhee Sygnham and Soviet-backed Kim Il-Sung. As an unificationist, Kim was assassinated by Rhee after Kim refused to endorse the 38 degree division plan.

Since Kim Ku had not been in the CCP camp, PRC seldom mentioned him. But lately due to the improvement of relationship between PRC and ROK, many sites where Kim Ku frequented while he was in China have been restored.

• 9 months later...

Since you mentioned this thread in the other topic. I assume you want someone to bring it back from the dead because no one replied.

In the South, some polls even listed him only second popular to Mother Teresa.

Since when did Mother Teresa become such an important figure in the South? I figure more people in South Korea would know who Britney Spear is than who Kim Koo or Mother Teresa.

Kim was also the person who triggered the Sino-Japanese War (many Chinese do not realize) and tilted US public opinion against Japan.

Here we are, all idiots, who thought that the spark of the Sino-Japanese War began with the Marco Polo Bridge Incident.

Japanese military was so mad that they staged an attack on January 28 at Shanghai to punish China for harboring Kim Ku.

Link please.

In 1933, Chiang Kai Shek met with Kim Ku and let his Korean revolutionaries enroll in Chinese Military Academy. (Such move marked Chiang's uncompromising attitude with Japan.)

Who knew CKJ had an attitude towards the Japs! I thought CKS was too obsessed with hunting the 'Bandits'. So obsessed that he used a 'trade land for time' policy to let the Japanese invade as he is busy hunting the Bandits.

As an unificationist, Kim was assassinated by Rhee after Kim refused to endorse the 38 degree division plan.

It was Ahn Doo-Hee who assassinated him. Rhee was the one who defeated him on the election.

hahaz, nice response... :mrgreen:

to add on to his tilting US public opinion against Japan. What year are you talking about? After Pearl Harbor or before? If after, then it's pretty irrelevant, as US public opinion was obviously already tilted. If before, then what good did it do that it's worth mentioning? Did the US do much to interfere with the Sino-Japanese war until Pearl Harbor?

Since when did Mother Teresa become such an important figure in the South? I figure more people in South Korea would know who Britney Spear is than who Kim Koo or Mother Teresa.

When the poll was taken, Britney and you were probably toddlers.

Here we are, all idiots, who thought that the spark of the Sino-Japanese War began with the Marco Polo Bridge Incident.

I am afraid you are what you said. The spark of Sino-Japanese War already ignited at the Mukden Incident that happened on Sept 18, 1931.

Who knew CKJ had an attitude towards the Japs!

Of course you don't know. Since you are a rookie learner in Chinese language, most likely you cannot read Chinese source on Chiang.

It was Ahn Doo-Hee who assassinated him. Rhee was the one who defeated him on the election.

You mean you are so naive to assume that Rhee would kill Kim with his own hand?

Sunyata:

Are you writing in response to my post?

Please address me or quote my article.

to add on to his tilting US public opinion against Japan. What year are you talking about?

US used to favor Japan in Asia. President Teddy Roosevelt tabled the Portsumouth Convention to reward Japan after the Russo-Japanese War in 1915.

Before the Shanghai Incident of 1932, US viewed Japan as a leading westernized country in Asia.

But after the picture of a naked partly burnt Chinese toddler sat crying on a destroyed Shanghai Railway platform was printed on Henry Luce's Time magazine in 1932, US public opinion started to tilt towards China.

When the poll was taken, Britney and you were probably toddlers.

Then it is outdated! Try posting the date of the source next time. :roll:

I am afraid you are what you said. The spark of Sino-Japanese War already ignited at the Mukden Incident that happened on Sept 18, 1931.

That was an incident directed at annexing Manchuria into the Japanese empire. Not an all-out war with China.

The Marco Polo Bridge Incident marks the beginning of the Sino-Japanese War.

Of course you don't know. Since you are a rookie learner in Chinese language, most likely you cannot read Chinese source on Chiang.

1. In case you failed to recognize; that was sarcasm.

2. One does not require to read Chinese sources if the translations are available.

3. Having difficulties debating so you had to start bashing my disability of Chinese literature? :roll:

You mean you are so naive to assume that Rhee would kill Kim with his own hand?

Is this one of your 'hypothesis' again?

1. Give me a source of Rhee hiring Ahn Doo-Hee to assassinate him.

2. Rhee won the election. There is no point of killing the loser.

3. So when I disagree with you, it means I am naive. :roll: Go ahead--show me some official or reliable sources. I will shut up if I am wrong. But don't slap your hypothesis and conspiracy theories to me.

But after the picture of a naked partly burnt Chinese toddler sat crying on a destroyed Shanghai Railway platform was printed on Henry Luce's Time magazine in 1932, US public opinion started to tilt towards China.

So the picture changed the American public of how evil Japan is, and China be in America's side.

So what were the public opinions of China and Japan in American before Japan did that? China = evil, Japan = good ?

So one picture changed the public opinions in America. And you call me naive.

How about slapping a picture of the Summer Palace Ruins to the American public, see if that will tilt away their opinions of the British.

Hey, multiple pictures of Iraqi civilian; men, women, and children, homeless, wounded or dead from the war, have appeared. I don't see US public tilting their votes to the Democrats.