Chinese-Forums

Are there variant forms of 能,龍 & 體 ?

Magnus

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, so I hope I don't post it in the wrong forum...

Here is my question: Should I write 能,龍 體 and 臉 with the component written like 月, ie. with 2 horizontal strokes in月. Or should I write them with the component like in ?

Thanks, grateful for any help

902_thumb.attach

903_thumb.attach

Hi everyone! Of course my first post got wrong...sorry:cry: I will try again...:wink:

Here is my question: Should I write 能,龍 體 and 臉 with the component written like 月, ie. with 2 horizontal strokes in月. Or should I write them with the component in the attachment "rou4", so that the character 體 is written as in the attachment "ti3" ?

Thanks, grateful for any help

904_thumb.attach

905_thumb.attach

Hi again!

Your question and my reply are both fine the first time round! :D

But here again in a different way of saying: they're just stylistic variants of the same radical, and so both are ok to use. In fact, you can't even get one of the variants output on the computer screen simply because of this very reason.

Here is my question: Should I write 能,龍 體 and 臉 with the component written like 月, ie. with 2 horizontal strokes in月. Or should I write them with the component in the attachment "rou4", so that the character 體 is written as in the attachment "ti3" ?

In fact, I do not know of any commonly used font that customarily marks the difference between 肉 and 月 in composition.

In addition to 朒, YellowBridge identifies 3 characters having both 肉 and 月 as components - 膸 and 腧. While ArialUnicodeMS and 微软繁线体 make use of image015.gif in their writing of 腧, other fonts like MingLiU, AR PL KaitiM Big5, MS PMincho etc. just don't.

As for , none of the 15 odd Chinese fonts I have installed makes use of 肉 in the writing - and the same happens, which is even more odd, for 骨 where the presence of the flesh instead of the moon is hard to question ...

In short, you may of course write the very many characters composed after 肉 with the elegant 冂 丶/ combination, but will be hard to identify an electronic font doing the same !

Incidentally, since http://www.zhongwen.com/ nicely marks the difference - Rick Harbaugh uses both variants when 肉 is used as radical - you may wish to enquire there about the fonts actually used - compare upper and lower part in for example http://www.zhongwen.com/d/166/d216.htm ...

Not sure the above helps, but I tried !

Here is my question: Should I write 能,龍 體 and 臉 with the component written like 月, ie. with 2 horizontal strokes in月. Or should I write them with the component like in ?

As both forms are exceptable, you should write them whichever way you feel most comfortable with. I personally prefer using rou4. Sometimes I write rou4 instead of yue4.

nipponman