Chinese-Forums

help with organizing a campus "Chinese Movie Night"

stBLCU

There are some great works in my heart.But I'm not sure whether they are suitable for your discussion class. Hope the small list is useful:) .

ancient:

The Emperor And The Assassin / 荆轲刺秦王

modern time:

Raise The Red Lantern / 大红灯笼高高挂

The Blue Kite / 蓝风筝

Farewell My Concubine / 霸王别姬 (My favourate)

Devils by the Doorstep / 鬼子来了

In the Heat of the Sun / 阳光灿烂的日子

contemporary:

Still Life / 三峡好人

Beijing Bicycle / 十七岁的单车

Blind Shaft / 盲井

Yi yi: A One and a Two / 一一

Wuxia (martial arts):

Ashes of Time / 东邪西毒

Documentary:

Tea-Horse Road Series: Delamu / 德拉姆

When I was learning Chinese we watched a sub-titled Chinese movie every week. The one that I most enjoyed was Big Shot's Funeral (大腕)

I couldn't understand much of the Chinese at the time but it made me laugh and when I I watched it again after six months, I still found it great and was definitely able to notice my improvement.

Hey everyone,

My Chinese Language Students Association is trying to organize a "Chinese Movie Night Festival" where we will show 3-4 movies back to back. I am trying to use movies of both popular and underground realm, but our goal is to try and convey a general picture of popular (urban) Chinese culture and the huge disparaties that are found in China today(rural, poor). We also want to attract a large audience, so we will use some popular movies as well.

Ideas for movies that I have come up with so far:

天下无贼 A world Without Thieves

手机 Cellphone

盲井 Blind Shaft

疯狂的石头 Crazy Stone

Postman in the Mountains

Any other ideas? movies about young, urban people would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

'So close to paradise' (Biandan, Guniang - 扁担.姑娘)

it's about a teenage porter in chongqing, his 'elder brother' from the same village, who's some kind of gangster, and a vietnamese karaoke host/prostitute...

or

'Beijing Bicycle (shiqi sui de qi che 十七岁的骑车' )

by Wang Xiao Shuai (王小帅)

both address themes you mention & are quite depressing.

For a feelgood movie, (albeit in a rural setting) there's

'The mask king' (Bianlian wang 变脸王, dir Wu Tian Ming , 吴天明), about an aging itinerant sichuan opera performer who buys a grandson

there is a film called balzak and the little chinese seamstress. it is about the times during the cultural revolution. there are two main characters who were sent to the mountains for their re-education, and the happen to find out a guy has lots of illegal foreign books hidden, so they steal them and teach the little seamstress how to read and write. and also use these books to create new ideas in the working life of the village tailor, and the little seamstress. making new clothes with new designs etc. quite interesting.

i would also recommend some hk movies like infernal affairs and needing you, quite good, and people will get to see lots of similarities between there travels in hk and the movie itself.

Yea we put on Beijing bicycle last month, and I will check out 扁担。姑娘

Thanks for your help!! Are there any movies and documentaries that cover the lives of young 爆发富 or their kids in China? I have been looking but haven't found much.

Have merged the two topics.

I'll chuck in 阳光灿烂的日子, 幸福时光,有话好好说,and also suggest that if you are doing these regularly, why not pick a TV show and show that regularly - could probably fit three episodes into the time a film takes. You'd need a regular audience though. Or you could just show the first three episodes of different shows each time, and if people like it they can continue watching it themselves.

Might actually be an idea to have themed nights? For example, you could show three Zhang Yimou movies - say 一个也不能少/我的父亲母亲,有话好好说,and Curse of the Golden Whatsits and you get a bit of rural poverty, urban disorder and costume kickery all in one evening.

http://lib.verycd.com/2003/09/16/0000000006.html

《绿茶》(Green Tea)

http://lib.verycd.com/2005/02/27/0000040496.html

《孔雀》(Peacock)

http://lib.verycd.com/2005/10/08/0000068579.html

《牯岭街少年杀人事件》(A Brighter Summer Day)

http://lib.verycd.com/2004/05/11/0000011835.html

《童年往事》(The Time to Live and the Time to Die)

http://lib.verycd.com/2003/11/11/0000000642.html

《香港制造》(Made in Hong Kong)

http://lib.verycd.com/2004/01/24/0000003873.html

《甜蜜蜜》(Almost A Love Story)

My Favorite is 天国逆子The Day the Sun Turned Cold (1994). I must have mentioned it somewhere on this forum before. Based on a true story, description here your class can probably debate on whether or not they agree with the main character.

Other class watchable movies (in general everything except for the movie Xiu Xiu)

A pretty recent movie that is more about young urban life is aspirin (asipilin) produced by Mei Ting

Also "Happy Times" 幸福时光(2000) is fun and of course, tragic too.

Wooden man's bride, although it's been awhile since I've seen it.

and

Tiandi Yingxiong (Warriors of Heaven and Earth)

are pretty nice movies that take place in the desert with bandits and all that fun stuff:mrgreen: