Chinese-Forums

anyone for BLCU Fall 2007?

panny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm about to send off my application to start the short term course in Sep 2007. I plan to be in China a year but thought the short term course would leave me more flexibility than the long term, incase I wanted to check out BNU or something... still dithering whether to go for the regular or intensive course though!

Oh yeah, and I'm 23, male from London btw!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm not from the UK, but from Holland. I applied for the short term course starting in september too.

I think I will get a reaction from the school soon... since I sent the application about 8 weeks ago.

Anyway... I hope to get to know some more people here who are also going to study at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, planning on going september thru til december 2007, have yet to decide on the intensive or regular as well! When did everyone send off their applications? Still waiting on my new passport so can't yet! Getting slightly worried...

I sent mine off about 7 or 8 weeks ago so hoping to hear back soon. went for the regular course in the end.

victoria - I wouldnt worry too much, I think the deadline to apply for courses starting in Sep is June/July...

no idea what to do about finding somewhere to live, guess I will just turn up at the start of Sep and stay in a hotel until I can sort something out. would rather find an appartment than stay in university accomodation...

I am interested as well, but couldn't find the link to the course and accommodation information. Could someone please help?

All the info can be found here:

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lzb/lx_back/english/index.htm

-------------------

I got a letter back from BLCU about 2 weeks ago that they accepted me as a language student!:mrgreen:

It took them about 10 weeks to reply, so I was getting a little nervous.

So for all the people that are also waiting that long... just be patient:wink:

I would give them a call if it took them longer than 12 weeks to reply though

ahah! i just have to say that this thread is so great, cuz i was doing the same thing a year ago! with all the mixed feelings of nervousness and excitement. this website saved my life, i'm sure i could've found easier ways to do things, but this forum prepared me the most. a couple things i wished i would've done different...

1. paid cash for tuition, either with a wire transfer before or with traveler's checks that can be cashed once you get here. the school charges an extra 3% and my bank charged an extra 1%, but i think some other student's banks charged them more. it doesn't seem like it's saving you much when you're paying it, but the money goes so much farther here.

2. i did a homestay and while i really enjoy the experience, i wished that i wouldn't have set myself to stay here the whole semester. i'm about 30min walk from campus and wish i was closer so i could be a bit more active with other students. i ride a bike to school and by the time i get home, i usually don't want to go back out. i could cab it, but china makes you cheap :D

one of the biggest reasons that i did a homestay is because i didn't want to live at the dorms and had no clue how i was to try and rent an apt from people that i couldn't really communicate with in a country that i've never been to. i've found though if you don't want to stay at the dorms, its awfully easy to get here and find roommates once here. there a couple areas close to the school swarming with english speaking foreigners and they'll put postings up that they have a room for rent or are looking for roommates.

3. i did the regular course as opposed to the intensive, and almost everyone i know that is in the intensive hates it. they have class from 8-12 a 2 hour lunch and class again from 2-4pm, i'm guessing at least half their class doesn't show up for the second class. i think it would be better to save your money and if you're really set on learning quickly, put that money towards a private tutor. much more effective and cheaper.

4. don't bring too much stuff, almost everything is cheaper here, sometimes not as good, but clothes, shoes, electronics are all pretty cheap and you'll want to take a bunch of stuff back. one suitcase for essentials, and the other with your favorite munchies! lol cuz unless your favorites are korean or chinese, they'll be hard to find near the school. and sometimes they taste funny.

hmmm what else... i never felt really prepared before i left, and i still feel quite retarded now that i'm here, but it gets better. bring your own towels, the ones here suck. they don't use body lotion, so if you're used to that, bring a couple bottles. not only do they not use it, but you can't hardly find it either. i think deoderant is hard to find as well, i haven't looked yet, but a friend said he had a hard time finding it. for girls, good cosmetic products are hard to find or expensive, i made the mistake of not bringing my own shampoo and conditioner, if you use any kind of salon products i think it would be relatively hard to find. but yes, this is all from MY experience, so if someone knows where to get the good stuff let me know! its possible that all this stuff is somewhere in beijing, but when you're new and if you're just beginning the language, its an adventure just getting home from school. :help

other than that, good luck kiddies! i'm no expert, but i'm here now so if anyone has any questions i'd be glad to try and help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks toygirl, very helpful post :D

I've had my letter of acceptance (which comes with a bit more info about what to do and bring for registration) so just need to get my visa and quit my job and I'm ready to go!

As far as finding a place to live, I think I'm just gonna have to turn up and book into a hotel until I can start looking for a flat share or something...

3. i did the regular course as opposed to the intensive, and almost everyone i know that is in the intensive hates it. they have class from 8-12 a 2 hour lunch and class again from 2-4pm, i'm guessing at least half their class doesn't show up for the second class. i think it would be better to save your money and if you're really set on learning quickly, put that money towards a private tutor. much more effective and cheaper.
Ah thanks toygirl! You answered the question I was going to ask!

hi! i'm male, 24 from Toronto, Canada.

I just sent in my application to BLCU. Going for the regular semester course from Sept 2007 to January 2008. My mandarin level right now in nonexistent other than saying 'thank you.'

I just have a question. How big are the classes and how old are the people in the class?

• 2 weeks later...

sethnis,

the class sizes are roughtly 20 - 30 people depending on the level your in when you do the tests. (pre test to determin your level).

Ages are also different, last year i had a boy ages 10 in my class and when i moved classes to higher levels i has people ages 40+.

This is Murat, from Turkey, and will most probably (already send the application looking forward for the acceptance:D )attend a year language course in BLCU starting from fall 2007 term.

I already got the informations about the courses and also the educations given, but i don't have any idea about the dorms waiting for us. I have read that some dorms are in renovation and some dorms are new. Does anyone has any idea about this dorm situation?

Senthis;

I just sent in my application to BLCU. Going for the regular semester course from Sept 2007 to January 2008. My mandarin level right now in nonexistent other than saying 'thank you.'

You are probably not the only, i just know saying "hello".

And also from the web I have found out that the classes could be at most 20.

Jetway;

On the application form is the end of the academic year indicated? is it the beginning or the middle of July? I haven't been able to find it on the BLCU website

According to my researches the i and also on the application form the end of the academic year is not indicated. I hope to get informed about the end date of the spring semester 2008, when we get there :D

• 1 month later...