Chinese-Forums

first 3 women students at Beida

kudra

I have been wondering about this for a while, and since it is women’s history month in the US, and International Women’s Day is coming up I thought it would be a good time to post this.

From the essay in Chapter 45, Written Standard Chinese vol 4, Huang and Stimson, titled 中国妇女之解放:

。。。

1919年五四运动以前,中国女子要念大学只有到几间教会办的校去。五四运动那年的秋天,有三个女生要求北京大学准许她们入学。这是在中国自己办的大学里念书的头三个女生。

。。。

My rough translation:

Before the May Fourth Movement of 1919, there were only a few schools administered by [unspecified] religions/churches that Chinese women who wanted to study at university could go to. That Fall of the year of the May Fourth Movement, 3 women students applied for permission to enter studies at BeiDa. These were the first 3 female students to study at a university administered by China itself.

My question is: What were these women’s names? What were their backgrounds? What became of them?

It seems that it was the spring of 1920 and not the fall of 1919 when the first female students started attending Beida.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/493bcedb010006qo

1919年8月3日,甘肃女学生邓春兰在京沪各大报发表她写给蔡先生的信,她知蔡先生主张男女平等,要求经北京大学附设中学进入大学预科,再入本科,实行男女同班。时值五四运动期间,蔡先生辞职离京,没有看到她的信,邓春兰拟组织大学解除女禁请愿团,“以牺牲万有之精神,至百折不回之运动,务达我目的而后已”。

据报载,1919年12月8日,“广东女学生黄佩筠、郑蕙菁向北京高等法文专修馆报名,已经馆长蔡子民、主任顾梦余许可”。

北京女学生王兰,于1920年2月17日第一个获得北大许可,入哲学系一年级为旁听生。王兰的弟弟王昆仑是北大学生。他告诉蔡校长,他的姐姐王兰很想进北大读书。蔡校长问:“她敢来吗?”王昆仑说:“她敢。”蔡校长说:“可以让她来试试。”王兰于是成为北大第一个女生。后来又有奚浈、查晓园两名女生也进入北大成为旁听生。至3月11日先后又增加六位女生:杨寿璧、邓春兰、赵懋芸、赵懋华、韩恂华、程勤若。秋季招考时,正式招收女生,以上九名女生都被录取。

A bit about Wang Lan, the first female student at Beida.

http://www.cnoverseas.com/bbs/archiver/?tid-28309.html

【文摘:王兰是北京大学招收的第一个女生。1899年,她出生在一个较为开明的官宦家庭,从小随父母辗转各地,使她增长了见识,开阔了眼界,也激发了她对自由的向往和追求……1919年,伟大的五四运动爆发了。在这一声势浩大的群众运动的有力推动下,开放大学女禁的呼声也一天天高涨起来。在新形势的鼓舞下,王兰毅然求见北大教务长陶孟和先生,要求进入北大学习……1920年2月,王兰经过简单的考试,被北大哲学系录取,成为北大的第一个女生,实现了她梦寐以求的理想。当时,一个女青年想要冲破重重阻力,与男青年同校读书,是很不容易的。王兰的行为就受到亲族成员的非议。但她的母亲比较开明,坚决支持了她的正当要求。--(《中国妇女》1982年第六期《北大的第一个女生--王兰》)】