Chinese-Forums

将 instead of 把 ?

Czech Cara

Grammar point, is it that 将 can be used instead of 把 in the object- preposed sentences? Or how would you interpret '公司一般將貴重材料(价格較高的)定義為A類料...' ? or is it still a verb meaning shall? Is it region specific?

With verbs like 进行, e.g. 就一件事情进行调查。
I don't think that is it, gougou! :tong

(In your sentence, the object of the verb is 调查, and not 事情 as one would normally expect in the 把 construction. Some more examples?)

I think it's better to think of 就 as 对 in these cases.

The 就 as used here means "take (advantage of something) as an excuse or a starting point (for doing something else)", so "就一件事情进行调查" roughly means "using some fact to start an investigation".

Aren't both 将 and 把 future tense indicators in Chinese?
将 in some usage indicates a future action but 把 doesn't have anything to do with this function.

(Welcome back Koneko. I was just about to report your sudden disappearance to the police! :mrgreen: )

so "就一件事情进行调查" roughly means "using some fact to start an investigation".
I would have read that phrase slightly differently, namely: to perform an investigation about a given event/situation.

From 现代汉语词典, one of the definitions of 就 lists:

就:(介词)表示动作的对象或范围, with the example it gives being: 他们就这个问题进行了讨论.

So for the first example, the action is 进行调查, with the target/scope of that action being 一件事情.

I would have read that phrase slightly differently, namely: to perform an investigation about a given event/situation.
I think you're absolutely right but my interpretation was not necessarily wrong. The following example leans indeed quite strongly towards my interpretation: 我就这个机会同大家谈谈

So, I guess that this use of 就 applies perhaps more widely than we first thought.

Grammar point, is it that 将 can be used instead of 把 in the object- preposed sentences? Or how would you interpret '公司一般將貴重材料(价格較高的)定義為A類料...' ? or is it still a verb meaning shall?

In 书面语, 将 is the equivalent of 把, at least for sentences like this. It can still mean "shall," but the sentences where it takes that meaning are different, syntactically.