Chinese-Forums

Vietnamese Name in Chinese Characters

vinhlong

Admin Note:  Please read:

Hello Vietnamese readers looking for a Chinese version of your name.  Although forum members can probably help you with your request, many of the names you seek can be easily found with a bit of your own research.  Please try to make at least some effort yourself before posting a request.  Long-time forum member Hofmann explains:

--

Quốc ngữ is the most common writing system used to write Vietnamese syllables, including names, since the 1930's. Most Vietnamese names are composed of Chinese morphemes (which usually correspond with one character). Because one syllable can correspond to many morphemes, there may be many possible characters for a name if one only supplies the Quốc ngữ. Providing meaning also can usually narrow it down to one character. This dictionary can be used to search for Chinese characters by entering Quốc ngữ, among other methods.

--

If you're going to make a post asking for a name, please try this first and then if you still have questions, make a post and include any information that you have already found.  If this seems like too much effort, imagine how existing members will feel answering your post (probably using this exact same method).

End Admin Note:

I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the following vietnamese name "Bao Uyen" into Chinese. :help

I actually have little idea of the meaning. I think it was supposed to mean something like "preserve wisdom" But I can't find any character combination that matches this meaning.

Thanks in advance.

Vinh Long

In the previous transcription Bảo Uyên: 保淵, bảo 保 means to protect, to preserve, as in bảo vệ 保衛 bao3 wei4 (simplified 卫 ) , and uyên 淵 yuan1 (simplified 渊) means deep pool (noun) or deep, profound (adjective) as in uyên thâm 淵(渊)深 yuan1 shen1.

There is another possibility for bảo, if you are not sure of the actual meaning is "to preserve". It's bảo 寶 bao3 (precious, treasure) as in bảo bối 寶貝 (宝贝) bao3 bei4 (Sure you know "Shanghai baby"! :wink: ).

Both transcriptions are possible.

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a search you could find a match for Vietnamese characters, so is it correct?

"son thi bich tuyen" = "sôn thị bích tuyên"

"son thi nigoc bich" ="sôn thị ngọc bích"

"lieu thi xem" = "liêu thị xem"

It may be easier to find using proper Vietnamese letters.

Wrong marks may mean different words, please check.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
nguyen bao phi

Nguyen = in Chinese

Bao =or

Phi = or

*Depending on the accent on the vowel of names, it might be one or another. Vietnamese used to be written in Chinese before they used Chu Nom & Chu Nho which are now almost obsolete. They now use Quoc Ngu, introduced and somewhat influenced by the French language.

Edited by trien27

Van Anh Le

Van = more than anything else, but it might also be

Anh = 英, 櫻, or 安(?)

Le =, or

*Depending on the accent on the vowel of names, it might be one or another. Vietnamese used to be written in Chinese before they used Chu Nom & Chu Nho which are now almost obsolete. They now use Quoc Ngu, introduced and somewhat influenced by the French language.

Edited by trien27
additional information

Hello,

I am trying to find out what my boyfriend's name is in chinese characters. His first name is cantonese but his middle and last name are Vietnamese.

the Vietnamese part of his name is Dinh Mach

Can someone please give me the meaning and chinese characters for Dinh Mach? Thank you very much!

I am trying to find out what my boyfriend's name is in chinese characters. His first name is cantonese but his middle and last name are Vietnamese.

the Vietnamese part of his name is Dinh Mach

Can someone please give me the meaning and chinese characters for Dinh Mach? Thank you very much!

"Đinh", with a dash on the D = in Chinese. It is the fourth Heavenly stem.*

"Mach" = -ch suffix doesn't really exist in Vietnamese, are you sure?

*Source: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_Chinese_surnames"]

mạch exists. See mạch in Wiktionary. It means "pulse".

Check here: http://vi.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=%C4%90%E1%BA%B7c+bi%E1%BB%87t%3AT%C3%ACm+ki%E1%BA%BFm&redirs=0&search=m%E1%BA%A1ch&fulltext=Search&ns0=1

As can be seen, it's not just "pulse" but also other characters.

Edited by trien27

"Mach" = -ch suffix doesn't really exist in Vietnamese, are you sure?

mạch exists. See mạch in Wiktionary. It means "pulse". ch is like English ch but final -ch is pronounced as a clipped -k.

The full spelling must be Đinh Mạch. Sounds similar to Đan Mạch - Denmark in Vietnamese. :)

These Chinese characters can be pronounced 貉, 麥, 覓 as mạch

In the list of Chinese surnames it's under 麥.

I could anyone please help me translate my name in to chinese? It would be nice to know how to write the character too.

The name is : Tra^`n Ngo.c Thao? Nhie^n

Tran Ngoc Thao Nhien

I think this is the meaning:

Ngoc= precious, jade, priceless, incomparable

Thao= respectful, honoring, herb/plant, medicine

Nhien= nature (thien nhien), natural (tu nhien), innocent (hon nhien)

Thanks

Tran Ngoc Thao Nhien

Tran = 陳 = "old"

Ngoc = 玉 = jade; gem

Thao = 草 = In Chinese, this doesn't have the meanings of "honor/respect" but only "grass/herbs".

Nhien = 然 = "nature"; "natural"

Edited by trien27
additional information